Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guntersville Lake, Alabama

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guntersville Lake, Alabama

well recently my wife and I got the crappie fishing bug, been bass fishing since the 80's, sort of got bored bass fishing, crappie here in Pa is ok best we have done on most times out are maybe 10 to 12 crappie all under 8 inches., but we want to try somewhere where there is more action and larger crappie, Guntersville Lake, Alabama is about 900 miles, is this considered the place to fish for crappie, i have a 14 ft smokercraft semi v boat with a 25hp outboard, if most feel this boat is too small for there, please chime in.hoping some one who might suggest something closer with as good fishing crappie.

thanks
    chet

tlefire is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the wind is blowing more than 10 to 15 miles per hour, I wouldn't want to be in your boat on the main lake. That being said, there are places to fish were the wind won't bother you too bad.....
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90 four stroke
    Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Livescope Terrova 24v Ionic lithium batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    If the wind is blowing more than 10 to 15 miles per hour, I wouldn't want to be in your boat on the main lake. That being said, there are places to fish were the wind won't bother you too bad.....
    hi tlefire

glad to hear that, got me rethinking and check around for more places where my boat will be safer to fish and still catch them

chet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    ... we want to try somewhere where there is more action and larger crappie, Guntersville Lake, Alabama is about 900 miles ...
    If I had to drive 900 miles to catch decent crappie, I'd take up golf. (And I hate golf.)

Surely, there's good fishing closer than that.
    Likes shipahoy41, DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I lived that far out I’d go the other direction! Those golden crappie that Bee catch are so beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

there are spots in Pa. with decent crappie , one board member here does well up that way , maybe he will chime in
    if i was gunna drive i would hit mississippi , they got some rather large white crappie in several lakes there .
    for what it would cost to go in somewhat blind with a boat that far i would think it might be better to hire a guide closer to home .
    what a decent guide can show you locally for 350 to 400 bucks on a close to you lake will be money well spent in the years to come ....
    just saying
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes cellis, RickyI LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

look into Pymatuning on the Ohio Pa border
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My dream trip would be a week at the north MS reservoirs-grenada, arkbutla, sardis, enid.

Post Thanks / Like

Chetc, look into the State Park Lodge (or cabins) at Guntersville. Beautiful place with a great boat ramp. Like others have said, if you happen to find yourself needing to fish on a windy day there are tons of places to duck in out of the wind. With the lake itself being rather long and narrow, you can always find a ramp on the side of the lake the wind is blowing from allowing you to stay protected.

S10CHEVY is online now Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Chet, just come across the state. Shenango Lake and Pymatuning Lake are both good crappie lakes. Pymy has cabins you can rent. Shenango during summer you can camp by the lake, but other wise, would have to stay at a motel. Could feed you info, if you want it. Chaunc is the man to ask questions about both lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast