HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality braid for UL?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quality braid for UL?

Recently, I ran into a problem of sourcing small diameter JDM PE from usual places (#0.15-0.3). Any suggestions for high quality, good value options and where to get them? I am not looking to get into high end Varivas, Sunline, and YGK. I know they are very good, but $60-100 per 150 m spool seems excessive to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quality braid for UL?

You can get the Varivas Master Limited Super Premium PE for $30 from their new USA site.

I have it in .15,.175,.2, and .4... it’s excellent.

Cheaper than that there is always the old Suffix Nanobraid 2lb, it’s the diameter of a .4 JDM PE, I used it for years prior to this season.

There really is a step up in quality when you go to the premiums, namely smaller diameter/break strength... manageability, knots, tear resistance, etc are all pretty similar. The big difference I have noticed is the coatings they are putting on these lines... the best I’ve seen is the Daiwa Sensor II it’s super slick and casts significantly further when all other things the same, but it is a $60 spool of line.

The Varivas Master Limited is the best value in my mind at $29-34 depending on size. (Smaller diameters more expensive)
    Likes kmorrow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip about the Varivas PE, specs do look quite good for the price.

I agree about PE, once you try high end ones it is difficult to go back, because the quality really shows. I wear them out rather quickly though (not because they are not durable, but because of how I fish), so I've switched to less expensive options. I've been pretty happy with $30-40 ones I've used, but I'm having trouble finding them lately.
    Likes kmorrow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Walt & I use UL exclusively for drift fishing and side pulling. We've been using 2# test Fireline Crystal exclusively with excellent casting and strength results. Not sure of the diameter of this line, but it doesn't really matter much to me. It casts 1/32 - 1/16 oz. jigs easily and with excellent distancing. Using on 7' - 9' B n' M SHSS rods as well as the 7.5' Diawa Presso. We're using about a 4' fluorocarbon leader for abrasion resistance. This line seems to work very well for us now for over 4 seasons. Cost effective too. No problems, no worries.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks BobC thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Walt & I use UL exclusively for drift fishing and side pulling. We've been using 2# test Fireline Crystal exclusively with excellent casting and strength results. Not sure of the diameter of this line, but it doesn't really matter much to me. It casts 1/32 - 1/16 oz. jigs easily and with excellent distancing. Using on 7' - 9' B n' M SHSS rods as well as the 7.5' Diawa Presso. We're using about a 4' fluorocarbon leader for abrasion resistance. This line seems to work very well for us now for over 4 seasons. Cost effective too. No problems, no worries.
    Yes, love that 2 lb line, never had a problem with it,cast great, readily available,and completely overlooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are y’all getting the fireline crystal? Who has the best price on it? I’m interested in trying it at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXPanfisher View Post
    Where are y’all getting the fireline crystal? Who has the best price on it? I’m interested in trying it at some point.

Robot Check

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked into Fireline Crystal and used Fireline before, but I found Duel Armored F+ and F+ Pro to be a better option. The Duel lines use similar technology, are offered in thinner diameters, and just feel superior. They can also be less expensive than Fireline Crystal. Nevertheless, Fireline is a very good option, together with Nanofil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    Thanks. Thought I looked on Amazon but may have overlooked it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    I've looked into Fireline Crystal and used Fireline before, but I found Duel Armored F+ and F+ Pro to be a better option. The Duel lines use similar technology, are offered in thinner diameters, and just feel superior. They can also be less expensive than Fireline Crystal. Nevertheless, Fireline is a very good option, together with Nanofil.
    70.00$ eBay ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast