HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Lot of talent and experience to do this.

Post Thanks / Like

DBDisco, is there an "ignore" function on CDC?
    Asking for a friend

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slowhand View Post
    DBDisco, is there an "ignore" function on CDC?
    Asking for a friend.
    Yes, there is. Go to your Inbox. On the left side of the page, you will see an option to "Edit Ignore List". Click on that.
    Thanks slowhand thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    I think he kneels a lot on the water, that's the reason. I know someone who likes waders for those purposes.
    I wear waders alot too but try to avoid kneeling since it's a good way to get a hole/tear or wear out the crotch seam sooner. But if you don't mind that fact then to each their own. I also avoid thorny berry bushes like the plague. Lols.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by z520tom View Post
    Unfortunately this panfish forum has become a infro commercial for high end Japanese rod companies and a plastic bait company.
    I disagree.

First of all, 90-95% of forum members use cheap, Chinese tackle -- and that's perfectly fine, if that's what they want to use. So, I don't see a problem with one sub-forum offering an alternative.

Second, Alphahawk started the "JDM rod" thread in 2015 and got very few responses. It was only after a few years of him and Ledhed posting pics of big fish caught on JDM tackle that other people got interested. So, I made it a sticky thread. Now, the "JDM rod" thread is one of the biggest threads on the entire site. Members were obviously interested, so the JDM reel and JDM lines threads grew up afterwards.

As for the Trout Magnet, it's a good bait. It's not the only good bait, but it definitely works. I've said this many times before, but I'll say again: almost any small jig or fly fished at the right depth and speed will catch bream.
    Likes MtnFisher, BobC LIKED above post
    Thanks jawjatek, Fishfishwish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    Makes me want to move closer to the Bay Area...
    Likes Fishfishwish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    I think the issue here is different fish scenarios for different folks.
    Precisely, but I think this thread of thought has been lost in the weeds of the 2 lbs line issue...

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that it is better to use a tad heavier line and land the fish asap rather than wear him down in a long fight so he dies when released. Common with stripers.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.
    Likes z520tom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I can chime in here.....

I fish Kentucky and Barkley lakes, multiple times a week on average, year round. I fish stake beds, down trees, rock bluffs, ledges... etc.

All with these high end JDM rods.

I used to fish G Loomis and St Croix, their top lines as well.

Anyone that tries to tell me that the nicest Loomis or St Croix is better quality than my Tenryu or GraphitLeader rods just purely has never held one.

All that being said, no one that fishes this JDM equipment has said its required, and rarely would I wager any of us would say it gives much of an advantage. But to say they’re the same quality as a Loomis or St Croix is objectively false. Anyone with functioning eyes can put they side by side and SEE the quality difference, let alone the feel.

As to the topic of “turning” a big redear or bass out of brush or whatever... well I’ve just never had a problem with that. My 2.3lb actual strength ester line, 2lb actual test mono, etc... never had a problem. Patience and a little bit of know how is all it takes to control a fish in the brush with this light tackle, until you get about 4-5lbs on a bass.But, I also know the secret of that for KY/Barkley... there just ain’t that many of them anymore since the Asian carp got here....
    Likes jawjatek LIKED above post
    Thanks deathb4disco thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I disagree.

First of all, 90-95% of forum members use cheap, Chinese tackle -- and that's perfectly fine, if that's what they want to use. So, I don't see a problem with one sub-forum offering an alternative.

Second, Alphahawk started the "JDM rod" thread in 2015 and got very few responses. It was only after a few years of him and Ledhed posting pics of big fish caught on JDM tackle that other people got interested. So, I made it a sticky thread. Now, the "JDM rod" thread is one of the biggest threads on the entire site. Members were obviously interested, so the JDM reel and JDM lines threads grew up afterwards.

As for the Trout Magnet, it's a good bait. It's not the only good bait, but it definitely works. I've said this many times before, but I'll say again: almost any small jig or fly fished at the right depth and speed will catch bream.
    I agree with deathb4disco. One doesn't need JDM tackle to catch fish period. But I like the shallow spool offerings of JDM reels for light lines , wider variety of choices and lighter gear weight over the Americanized Chinese tackle. That said I own and use both now thanks this forum.

The Japanese have been very innovative in both their rods and reels. That's why you see them sold and shipped to all over the world now due to the global economy.

That said my next rod will probably be a St. Croix rod due to the input from members on this forum if Japan's EMS shipping does not resume before December.

Last edited by MtnFisher; 08-02-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    Makes me want to move closer to the Bay Area...
    I started trout fishing about 3yrs ago after a long layoff. Things have changed alot with with the gear and the fisheries for the better mostly.

Nowhere near the bay area. The picture I posted is of a high Sierra lake at the 10k ft elevation. It's only fishable about 5 months out of the year and to fish it properly one needs to backpack in and plan on camping out. It's not a native golden trout lake, its stocked by airplane. A few yrs ago CDFW accidentally planted it with cutthroats and the rumor is they have cross bred with the goldens and now larger fish can be caught. I know of a few who started packing in and targeting these trout. Ultralight or JDM area trout rods are perfect here. One can also hire a packer to take you up there. I might try a fall trip to this lake if I ever complete some home projects my wife and I are doing.

There are tons of these high alpine lakes thruout the Sierra range with gorgeous trout. One can fish in almost any setting here, ponds, lakes, creeks, rivers, dam outlets etc.

We also have the heritage trout challenge but plan on driving some miles:

Heritage Trout Challenge

Name:  Screenshot_20200802-134925_Instagram.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  178.2 KBName:  Screenshot_20200802-135302_Firefox.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  64.5 KB

Last edited by MtnFisher; 08-02-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast