HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Town Discovery 158 Canoe

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I kept my C-Tug kayak dolly and didn't include it in the sale of the kayak. Instead of unloading/loading at the water's edge, I wanted to try it out on this rig. As a side note, I did move the C-Tug dolly closer to the middle before using it to make it more comfortable!
    Name:  C-Tug.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  137.6 KB
    Paddle Straight and Prosper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Old Town Discovery 158 Canoe
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Rod's and Reels should accompany me on my next encounter on the water! But this was a wonderful First Dance with the Disco 158!
    Name:  First Dance - Disco 158.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  139.7 KB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Likes D10, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The wood cut outs still need sanding to take the sharp edges off, but here is what I think is gonna work out for me when I pull crank baits. I don't care for my rods to extend out sideways like I think most folks in kayaks do. I prefer to have the base in front of me where it doesn't get in the way of me paddling. When a fish is on, it's pretty obvious with the rod tip looking like it's dancing to the oldies. You just reach up and grab it and reel in your supper! Plus, when unhooking the fish or just tying on a different lure, you insert the rod in the rod holder and the line hangs straight down with your hands free to conduct the business at hand. It makes my world a little easier!
    Name:  Scotty Mount.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  57.5 KBName:  Scotty Mount 1.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  44.2 KBName:  Scotty Mount 2.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  47.4 KB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Likes SuperDave336, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I did not want to drill into the canoe and I wanted to be able to remove or relocate the holders as desired so I made the mini-holders above. I originally thought I would have a removable thwart to mount the rod holders. Then I thought I would just run the wood along side of the gunnels to mount the hardware. I began to think how much bulk storage it would be so I think the mini-holders will work fine for my use. They have wing nuts underneath to quickly remove or relocate them.

I have a different kind of rod holder to push gigs up front. I really like the Hi-Tek rod holders and have used them before. They will be mounted in a similar way, just facing frontwards.
    Name:  HiTek Rod Holder.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  30.7 KB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Likes SuperDave336, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You do some pretty work! That turned out nice.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing a few times trying out the set-up. The catching has been slow, but some redesign ideas have developed that I think will be worth while. First of all, the trolling set-up that worked wonders on my kayak didn't work out as well on the canoe. The slight distance forward made it way to awkward to grab the rod in a fluid manor with out the reel catching on the holder.

I came across some T-Tracks that are often used on kayaks and came up with a way to keep them off the gunnels and still a tad below the gunnels where I can flip the canoe and slide it without the T-Track snagging on something. With these T-Tracks I will be able to micro-manage the comfortable distance and angle of the rod holders I use for trolling. I had to order the T-bolts and they should be in late next week. I am excited about this system verses the one I was using. It took more time setting up and taking down than I wanted to do at the boat ramps. This method will be instantaneous... quicker than you can blink... see there, you missed it already! :-)

I wasn't planning on getting another fish finder. I wanted to keep this canoe a simple, quick go-to fishing machine... But sometimes I feel a little like "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" from that TV show "Home Improvement"! "More Power... Aruh, Aruh, Aruh!" So, you guessed it, I went out and got a little modest fish finder. I really was wanting the 32 inch Magnum Display with Hydro-phonic Surround Sound Aquatic Fish-Tamer Console... But as you would know it, my "Honey, Baby, Sugar-lump" really wanted me to look some more at a few of the smaller units...

I ended up getting the Lowrance Reveal 7 Trippleshot. Since the majority of the lakes I currently fish are smaller and uncharted I really wanted to try out Lowrance's Genesis software where you can map your own lakes you fish. I am really looking forward to learning how to use this rig. Although it isn't the 32 inch I was drooling over, I think this rascal will be much more than I need. Now if I can only figure out a way to get my recliner in the canoe, I'll be set!
    Name:  T-Track.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  102.7 KBName:  T-Track 2.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  54.9 KB
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like

Very good report. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Nice rig, OP. Have you had the chance to catch any fish yet?
    Call me Cole.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup. By now you have had a number of adventures. Still enjoying it?
    Bob

Tradbow is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my 158 back around the mid 1990’s. It has been a beast. Cannot beat it. Use it floating the rivers in middle Georgia. I love my Jackson kayaks but I’d sell them both before ever getting rid of my canoe.
    Likes LadyBear LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast