Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multispecies Fishing in the Everglades

Post Thanks / Like

Default Multispecies Fishing in the Everglades

While I did catch some larger fish as the thumbnail of the video suggests, it was mostly panfish for most of the day. I tried a new canal that I've only driven by a few times previously. Started out throwing some larger lures and wasn't getting anywhere. Switched up to the ultralight with a small 1/16 oz jighead and a wide variety of soft plastics did the trick. Ended up catching 6 different species this day. On the exotic side I got a few peacock bass, mayan cichilds, and oscar cichlids. On the native side I got one bowfin, one warmouth, and one redear sunfish. I love catching the natives, but they're just out numbered all over the area by the non-natives. Anyway, hope you like it.

Likes Skippa Chippa, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, what other kinds of species of non-native fish live in those canals ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    Just curious, what other kinds of species of non-native fish live in those canals ?
    Yes, it is an interesting post. I guess over the years a lot of tropical fish tank species have been dumped in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    There's very few that sre widespread over all of Dade and Broward counties. Really peacock bass and Mayan cichlids are the two most common. After that there are probably 30-50 species that are fairly easy to find, but isolated to certain canals or canal systems. Some other common ones would be the Oscar, blue tilapia, spotted tilapia, jaguar Cichlid, bullseye snakehead, and clown knifefish. All of those are fairly easy to find if you concentrate your time in a particular area. After that there's other non-natives such as flowerhorn cichlids, Midas cichlids, and African jewel cichlids which are all still common, but they're more isolated populations.
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough in our yearly trips I've caught Myans and Oscars but not 1 Peacock Bass. That's along with bluegill and largemouth bass. We fish mostly out of Holiday Park but we run 5 miles to escape the airboat traffic.
    We didn't come this year because of the virus but it would have been out 40th year.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Baknaction LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those were some neat looking fish, especially the Oscars.

Post Thanks / Like

the invasive species program in Florida has reached epidemic proportions .
    they blame it on hurricanes and blown away pet shops
    but the reality is likely humans that dont want to take care of pets at some point .
    one thing for certain the future will never be like the past due the introductions of them .
    hopefully you are killing everything non native you ketch to help the ecosystem .
    it amazes me the amount of destruction humans are doing to our planet in such a short time .
    even 40 years ago Florida already had a few populations non native reptiles and amphibians
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes rebranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    the invasive species program in Florida has reached epidemic proportions .
    they blame it on hurricanes and blown away pet shops
    but the reality is likely humans that dont want to take care of pets at some point .
    one thing for certain the future will never be like the past due the introductions of them .
    hopefully you are killing everything non native you ketch to help the ecosystem .
    it amazes me the amount of destruction humans are doing to our planet in such a short time .
    even 40 years ago Florida already had a few populations non native reptiles and amphibians
    You want a good read check out how a gift of about 3 dozen bluegill to the Crown Prince of Japan back in 1960 from Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago killed off some Japanese native fish. The 3 dozen fish have grown to a population of about 50 million. Pretty interesting story.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Ketchn, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Comes as little surprise to me , human beings are bad news for our planet, look at this current virus thing , a prime example of human stupidity.

Post Thanks / Like

You know it is interesting,the black bass they brought in around 1925 are eating everything and they want help controlling them and the 5 million Japanese bass anglers wont do it ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast