Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which spinning reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which spinning reel?

Good to be on the site..I'm new to crappie fishing so some basic questions. I'm planning to use 4 lb and/or 6lb mono with a medium light fast action rod. Any problems with using a Team Lou Custom Pro 2000 spinning reel?

Post Thanks / Like

I stumbled across an Okuma RTX 25. It’s a nice reel, and super light weight. I liked it so well that now I have 4 or 5 of them in size 25 and 30. They run a little smaller than most, by the size number. The bad part is that they are discontinued, but still lots of them on EBay.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak
    Likes marku LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How long is the rod ?

Does the reel balance the rod ? (If you're considering using the outfit to cast with)

What method are you intending to use with this outfit ?

(*what I mean by "balance the rod" is ... if you can stick your finger out and place the rod/reel on that finger at the very front end of the handle & it will balance there. If the rod drops quickly towards the handle end or tip end, it's not balanced. But, if it slowly tilts towards the handle end, that's OK. You just don't want the rod to tilt fast towards the tip end, as that would result in excess pressure on your wrist & forearm with any sustained time of use. If it's "slowly" tilting towards the tip end, then you might get away with using it ... but any rapid drop towards the tip end is a red flag that the reel isn't heavy enough to counter balance the length of the rod.)
    Likes marku LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    How long is the rod ?

Does the reel balance the rod ? (If you're considering using the outfit to cast with)

What method are you intending to use with this outfit ?

(*what I mean by "balance the rod" is ... if you can stick your finger out and place the rod/reel on that finger at the very front end of the handle & it will balance there. If the rod drops quickly towards the handle end or tip end, it's not balanced. But, if it slowly tilts towards the handle end, that's OK. You just don't want the rod to tilt fast towards the tip end, as that would result in excess pressure on your wrist & forearm with any sustained time of use. If it's "slowly" tilting towards the tip end, then you might get away with using it ... but any rapid drop towards the tip end is a red flag that the reel isn't heavy enough to counter balance the length of the rod.)
    I haven't bought the rod yet but considering St Croix Premier 6'6" Spin, med lite, fast. So I don't know if they balance but agree this its important to check out somehow. I'll be fishing from shoreline and boat at Fox River Chain of Lakes and Clinton Lake in Illinois. I expect to be doing vertical jig, casting, drifting with small plastic baits, and using slip and fixed bobbers. Any rod/reel combination I finally decide on would be exclusively for crappie fishing so Id consider a different combination if it gets the job done, especially if it saves $.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with the Team Lou spinning reel you asked about, but would add the Pflueger President 25 or 30 models as ones to consider. We have several of them on our poles and really like them. Have had wipers hit hard and give the drag a good test and handle things just fine. Seems to be a good reel for the money. Best wishes and have fun on the water!
    "Kids don't remember their best day of television."

https://layneslures.wordpress.com/
    Likes marku, hambandit, Damion Kidd, Dollfly LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Proud_Dad View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Team Lou spinning reel you asked about, but would add the Pflueger President 25 or 30 models as ones to consider. We have several of them on our poles and really like them. Have had wipers hit hard and give the drag a good test and handle things just fine. Seems to be a good reel for the money. Best wishes and have fun on the water!
    I also like my new President 25 models, so smooth and quality. I have them on my 10 ft BnM Russ Bailey Signature Series 10 ft rods.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Likes marku, Proud_Dad LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

X3 on the presidents for a quality spinning reel for the money.
    Likes Proud_Dad, FlyBye LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have some LEWS Mr Crappie speed shooter spinning reels Model WMSS100 that are also nice and priced around $30.00.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

x4 on the President 25 smooth and dependable.
    Likes Proud_Dad, FlyBye LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could add to the above suggestions, but I can’t. I have a 20 size Pflueger President and have been very pleased with the reel. Good value. Balance is critical. Make sure that is right.
    Bob
    Likes jp2 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast