Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving (retiring) to Ky

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, for the insight. Was concerned about the winter pool a little on barren.

Post Thanks / Like

Have only virtually looked at property there, might take a trip. There is a lot of property up that way. Any idea on the fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

I too have heard of this Franklin area.

I am a little less than two hours to Donelson or Devil's Elbow on Barkley. 45 to Barren and 45 to Old Hickory in Tenn. About 1.25 hours to Nolin and 2.5 the Green River Lake and the same to the tailwaters of Lake Cumberland.

I am not sure how the KY state income tax works with retirement income but something to investigate anyway I would think.

If I had to choose a lake to live on I would choose KY, Barkley or Lake Malone. KY and Barkley because the water doesn't fluctuate as far up and down as other COE lakes (Barren, Nolin and Rough as examples) and I duck hunt. Lake Malone because it doesn't fluctuate much at all and is a nice fishing lake and is pretty as all get out though it is much smaller than anything else mentioned as of yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    I too have heard of this Franklin area.

I am a little less than two hours to Donelson or Devil's Elbow on Barkley. 45 to Barren and 45 to Old Hickory in Tenn. About 1.25 hours to Nolin and 2.5 the Green River Lake and the same to the tailwaters of Lake Cumberland.

I am not sure how the KY state income tax works with retirement income but something to investigate anyway I would think.

If I had to choose a lake to live on I would choose KY, Barkley or Lake Malone. KY and Barkley because the water doesn't fluctuate as far up and down as other COE lakes (Barren, Nolin and Rough as examples) and I duck hunt. Lake Malone because it doesn't fluctuate much at all and is a nice fishing lake and is pretty as all get out though it is much smaller than anything else mentioned as of yet.
    It’s a good little town, good people for the most, and a drive in theater. I will look into lake Malone you make some really good points. I appreciate the insight more than you know.

Post Thanks / Like

The lake having a steady level is big. I live on Lake Cumberland. It is above the tree line or summer pool now! The unfishable days in the last six months is disappointing. Lots of natives have to go to Green etc. to get a decent day in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fair weather View Post
    The lake having a steady level is big. I live on Lake Cumberland. It is above the tree line or summer pool now! The unfishable days in the last six months is disappointing. Lots of natives have to go to Green etc. to get a decent day in.
    yeah I'm not ok with loosing fishing days. I will look into green also. thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding losing fishing days, I'd say Barren, Rough and Nolin would be up there due to water fluctuations and color, and add in Barkley due to chocolate milk water as well. The good thing about Barkley is that KY is not far away and if you stay over on the LBL side bays the water stays pretty darn clean even when it isn't. I'm sure it happens but I can't recall KY being muddy.

If you are looking for lake property on KY or Barkley pm me. I am too but not very aggressively. A friend of mine is a real estate agent that specializes in lake properties over there and he set up something for me that will send me emails when he has a listing that meets the criteria I am looking for. I then can go into the listing on the program and rate it as a like, maybe or reject it. Wife and I have been looking for rental property type stuff around the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    Regarding losing fishing days, I'd say Barren, Rough and Nolin would be up there due to water fluctuations and color, and add in Barkley due to chocolate milk water as well. The good thing about Barkley is that KY is not far away and if you stay over on the LBL side bays the water stays pretty darn clean even when it isn't. I'm sure it happens but I can't recall KY being muddy.

If you are looking for lake property on KY or Barkley pm me. I am too but not very aggressively. A friend of mine is a real estate agent that specializes in lake properties over there and he set up something for me that will send me emails when he has a listing that meets the criteria I am looking for. I then can go into the listing on the program and rate it as a like, maybe or reject it. Wife and I have been looking for rental property type stuff around the lake.
    not ready to waste a real estate agents time just yet but I will keep that in mind. thank you for the offer.

Post Thanks / Like

The good thing about that program is once you set the criteria you are looking for there is no work for the real estate agent, it just shoots out an update email to you when he/they make a new listing that ticks all your boxes. It allows my wife and I to see what is out there and we keep an eye on what types of homes are going for what prices. Will also give you an update if a home on your like or maybe list changes prices or goes off the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Zillow is a wonderful tool, until you get really serious. Sometimes Zillow is slow to load a new listing.

I sold my last house on Zillow, for sale by owner, and it worked out great with no realtors involved.

I seriously don't see how you'll find waterfront house with gentle slope to the water and dock for $150k....hard to even find a place up the street from a boat ramp for that price. Any place that's even remotely close to meeting your criteria gets snatched up by people buying it to be a rental on VRBO.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...15409254_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...15409230_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...34473365_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...15466688_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...36621442_zpid/
    Likes smashdn LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast