HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 50 of 78 FirstFirst ... 404748495051525360 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM reels relating to panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone find a decent place to buy a 19 vanquish? Probably going with the c2000s.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 2018 1000 series Cardia comparable to the Ballistic or the Luvias?? Is it comparable to the Gekkabijin?

I'm just trying to understand the proper ranking of these Daiwa reels from Japan. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Is the 2018 1000 series Cardia comparable to the Ballistic or the Luvias?? Is it comparable to the Gekkabijin?

I'm just trying to understand the proper ranking of these Daiwa reels from Japan. Thanks!!

Simple answer is no...not even close the the Ballistic FW nor the 20 Luivas...or 15 Luvias for that matter. As to the Gekkabijin....depends on the model. Against the Gekkabijin EX not even close....nor close the Gekkabijin Air. The only Gekkabijin reel you could really make somewhat of a comparison to is the MX.

Regards
    Thanks redearhoosier thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post

Each reel you listed sells at a different price point based on its features and technology. You pretty much pay more for newer technology and more features.

The 2018 Daiwa Gekkabijin MX is a saltwater rated reel and comes with 7/1 ball bearings, Magseal, ToughDigigear, ATD (automatic tournament drag), air rotor and a Long Cast ABS spool. The reel body is an alloy but I can't recall which one? Sells in the $130-150 range.

The 2018 Caldia LT is a saltwater rated reel with 6/1 ball bearings and pretty much the same features as the Daiwa Gekkabijin MX. Its lighter due its ZAION carbon body and DS§4 carbon Air Rotor. Its price point is right above the Daiwa Gekkabijin MX. Sells in the $150-160 range.

The 2019 Ballistic FW LT is a freshwater rated reel with 7/1 ball bearings so it lacks Magseal but has the features the Caldia LT with an updated design. Price range is from about $200-240?? More info here New DAIWA Ballistic FW is the Little EXIST '18 for Fresh Water | Japan Fishing Tackle News

The 2020 Luvias is a saltwater rated reel with 9 ball bearings (3CRBB) and is the newest and lightest of the bunch, sells for about $250-300??. More info here: Daiwa Luvias 20 reel is here in 2020 - Fishing Mad

Weight reduction comes at a price, you basically pay more for less.

You can compare these reels and decide which features are important to you and fit your budget.

I wade, tube and yak fish so Daiwa's Magseal water resistance is important to me.

For increased smoothness of the lower end models you can buy/add ball bearing using a Super Tune bearing kit sold off Ebay or Hedghog Studios.
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 04-18-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    Likes StantheMan2567, VaCrappieMan LIKED above post
    Thanks redearhoosier, Alphahawk, s_v, John Scott thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested in a related question. I am more familiar with Shimano reels than Daiwa reels. I know that Shimano has several base models that, with some modifications, give rise to the majority of the line-up. For example, Stradic Ci4+ is the basis for the majority of the other Ci4+ reels with some (often important) additions/ modification – spool bearings, drag washers, etc. I have read somewhere that Daiwa "family tree" is a bit more complicated. Can anyone share some knowledge/ details with me?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    I am very interested in a related question. I am more familiar with Shimano reels than Daiwa reels. I know that Shimano has several base models that, with some modifications, give rise to the majority of the line-up. For example, Stradic Ci4+ is the basis for the majority of the other Ci4+ reels with some (often important) additions/ modification – spool bearings, drag washers, etc. I have read somewhere that Daiwa "family tree" is a bit more complicated. Can anyone share some knowledge/ details with me?
    Daiwa introduced their LT reels in 2018 which stands for light and tough. That concept seems to be Daiwa's marketing strategy to counter Shimano's successful Ci4+ concept.

Personally I just sort their reels by price on vendor pages and go from there. If a reel interests me then I do more research on that particular reel by using search engines, YouTube etc.

Fanatik Baits: Everything You Need to Know about Daiwa Reels

Not sure if I answered your question but figured I'd share what I've learned.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks StantheMan2567, John Scott thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I should add I'm a fan of both companies Daiwa and Shimano, and own reels from both as well.

In the old days it was Mitchell Garcia with a few Daiwas, nowadays its Daiwa and Shimano for me.

Still have and use an older FinNor spinner too for certain situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    Daiwa introduced their LT reels in 2018 which stands for light and tough. That concept seems to be Daiwa's marketing strategy to counter Shimano's successful Ci4+ concept.

Personally I just sort their reels by price on vendor pages and go from there. If a reel interests me then I do more research on that particular reel by using search engines, YouTube etc.

Fanatik Baits: Everything You Need to Know about Daiwa Reels

Not sure if I answered your question but figured I'd share what I've learned.

Thank you for this link to Diawa reels. I have read something similar, this link has a better and more concise format.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. While I was familiar with reading Daiwa's model numbers, this is the first time someone summarized Daiwa's spool diameters – very helpful!
    I always thought one of Daiwa's advantages over Shimano was larger spools. I guess with the LT reels it is not that different anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s_v View Post
    Thanks for the link. While I was familiar with reading Daiwa's model numbers, this is the first time someone summarized Daiwa's spool diameters – very helpful!
    I always thought one of Daiwa's advantages over Shimano was larger spools. I guess with the LT reels it is not that different anymore.
    Yes, that is very useful info. Here it is from that link:

• Daiwa LT1000 is 40 mm (Shimano is 42 mm)
    • Daiwa LT2000 is 42 mm (Shimano is 42 mm)
    • Daiwa LT2500 is 45 mm (Shimano is 46.5 mm)
    • Daiwa LT3000 is 48 mm (Shimano is 46.5 mm)
    • Daiwa LT4000 is 51 mm (Shimano is 51 mm)
    • Daiwa LT5000 is 54 mm (Shimano is 54 mm)

You mentioned Ci4+ reels with additions/modifications. Here is one of those reels, a JDM Shimano Cardiff Ci4+ 1000S with 9/1 bearings, improved drag, slow retrieve etc:
    Name:  20200420_101518.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  119.5 KB

The reel is marketed and aimed at area trout fans. A very smooth reel out of the box and I'm pleased with it. Its listed description reads:

"A special tune to give to a trautist. It has a rigid support drag that enables stable line delivery, a finely-tuned eridrag, and a drag sound that plays a large drag sound, and a drag system that focuses on trout fishing. The 1000S is an all-rounder in the area."

Another picture of it next to my USDM Stradic Ci4+ (with added bearing/gomexus power knob and carbon drag washers):
    Name:  20200420_101451.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  151.0 KB
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 04-20-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    Likes Veedo, I L Mack LIKED above post
    Thanks slowhand thanked you for this post

Page 50 of 78 FirstFirst ... 404748495051525360 ... LastLast