Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hook should I buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Hook should I buy?

Hello Guys,

I hope everyone is safe and healthy! Well, I bought me a new Jacobsen Pillhead jig, but I haven't poured any jig head yet. I ran out of my #4 and #2 Matzuo hooks, and I'm trying to decide what to buy. I've been looking at various articles and posts about the subject, but I'm still not convinced on what direction to go. From what I gather, the Eagle claw hooks are not very sharp. So I guess the question is "Sickle vs. Aberdeen", and Eagle Claw vs. Mustad", unless you guys know of a different hook maker. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle claw is a finer wire and what I have used for years. Eagle Claw lazers were the best but hard to find. Just my 2 centss. Let us know what you come up with.
    Likes Barry70Stang LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have gone through all them since the sickle was introduced. I’m sold on them. The Mustad is what I’m using now. Sharper than eagle claw and since I tip with minnow a lot o like that it has a tiny bit bigger barb. That helps with keeping minnow from sliding off and better hook up’s. There are some good Aberdeen hooks out there but the good ones are quite expensive in my opinion.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the old Sickles for most of my tying the last 15 years, but since they went broke I would go to the Eagle Claw Lil' Nasty I think, but would be open to any hook that shows great sharpness and doesn't dull easy. The old Sickles had issues a few times in their years, but when right they were super sharp and didn't dull! I still have a lot of heads with the old sickle in them so that is what I still use. I do however have some with the Lil' Nasty's in them.

What else I like about the Sickles is the bit or how big the gap between the hook point and the shank, A #6 Sickle gap is same as a Regular bend hook #4 and a #4 Sickle is same as a #2 Regular bend hook! I always thought you loose less fish on a Sickle too!

Skip

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I ended up buying the Mustad 32500's. I found a guy on Ebay that had them by the 1000 count for $49.99 + tax in #2. He only had #4's in 100 count, so I ordered 5 packs of them. That ought to keep me busy for a while. Thanks guys. Sure wish I could find the mother load of Matzuo hooks...….I'll keep my eye out for them.

Post Thanks / Like

We all keep our eye out for them,it had some good qualities. I think it goes back to what we get used to using what we have unless its a total washout. Does not happen often but I have a few of those too. Enjoy the hobby and stay safe.

Post Thanks / Like

The Eagle Claw Lil Nastys are ok. They're not stick in your nail sharp like the Matzuos were. Haven't gotten my hands on the Mustads yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried them all and still have Matzuo's, EC Nasties and regular round bends, Mustad round bends (Old stock) and use them all. As long as they catch fish I don't worry about it.
    Likes GrumpyLoomis, Barry70Stang LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having bought 7000 matzuo years back in different sizes, I’m still working my way through them. Have gotten some #8 black chrome sickles and don’t know who made em, but I like em. Guessing I’ll run out and have to go through this myself one day. Good info.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy Sam got me using sickles lately. I am getting use to them. I still like my round bend bronze for winter fishing. I open the bend a bit for top of mouth hook ups ; bending weakens sickle hooks and they will break... I wish I had skeetbums stockpile...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast