HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight topwater setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultralight topwater setup?

I have never tried ultralight for topwater, but will be doing so later this spring on a JDM rod and reel. What rod, reel, line, lure setups do you use? Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 71 TZ Nano with Daiwa Luvias 2004, 4-lb braid with a longer than usual 4-lb fluorocarbon leader. This setup will cast the smallest sized top water plugs a mile. The longer shock leader with the braid, provides a little more give when the fish blows up the bait. I still have to delay the hookup or I rip the plug out of their mouths. This is one of my favorite early morning creek fishing techniques. Loads of fun on smallies and spotted bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]
    Thanks PickwickDam thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t do top water anymore but if I did I would have a TZ Nano....a 2000 Luvias high gear reel. That will rip some lips.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I tinker around on the river with some ultra light rapala top waters and throw them on 2lb with my 6’1” Corto... I don’t catch any monsters really... up to 20” smallies but mostly red eyes and redbreast sunfish... I’m not targeting big large mouth or anything though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PickwickDam View Post
    … for topwater … What rod, reel, line, lure setups do you use?
    It's called a "fly rod".

Seriously, you should try it. Spring is a good time to learn.
    Likes D10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going with a TSS Trout Slayer and a Rebel cricket and bumblebee. I have converted two to single hook using an offset vertical eye cultiva from finesse. Right now I only changed over a couple because I’m not sure that a #6 is the right size and I might have to buy some 8s. I have a feeling different sizes might be necessary with the Rebels, as the size of the trebles vary with the lure. Any experience appreciated. As mentioned above, when the water blows up it is a heart attack - super fun! LOL.
    Bob
    PS A light weight flyrod is a terrific way to go. I would but I think my wrist would really start barking.
    B
    Likes PickwickDam LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    I’m going with a TSS Trout Slayer and a Rebel cricket and bumblebee. I have converted two to single hook using an offset vertical eye cultiva from finesse. Right now I only changed over a couple because I’m not sure that a #6 is the right size and I might have to buy some 8s. I have a feeling different sizes might be necessary with the Rebels, as the size of the trebles vary with the lure. Any experience appreciated. As mentioned above, when the water blows up it is a heart attack - super fun! LOL.
    Bob
    PS A light weight flyrod is a terrific way to go. I would but I think my wrist would really start barking.
    B
    For many years, I used to wade the clear streams of Middle Tennessee, using 4 and 6 lb. line, and caught a lot of creekfish with the smallest Rebel crawfish. The hooks on it were small enough that I caught several sunfish from time to time. I found the middle sized Rebel crawfish to be better for smallmouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PickwickDam View Post
    For many years, I used to wade the clear streams of Middle Tennessee, using 4 and 6 lb. line, and caught a lot of creekfish with the smallest Rebel crawfish. The hooks on it were small enough that I caught several sunfish from time to time. I found the middle sized Rebel crawfish to be better for smallmouth.
    Years ago when fishing Pickwick I would more often than not stop off at Forty Eight Creek on my way back to Columbia. I just could not pass by there without stopping....many times fishing until dark. I had a Shimano Compre UL rod then that was pretty much a noodle. I would catch a lot of Smallies in the 9-10 inch range....a whole lot of fun. You may know the spot I would stop at. There used to be a really nice restaurant right on the creek...but it burned down. I would pull off there....it was just an idilic setting....crystal clear water....beaver swimming around. Those were the days.

Regards

Likes skeetbum, PickwickDam LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Years ago when fishing Pickwick I would more often than not stop off at Forty Eight Creek on my way back to Columbia. I just could not pass by there without stopping....many times fishing until dark. I had a Shimano Compre UL rod then that was pretty much a noodle. I would catch a lot of Smallies in the 9-10 inch range....a whole lot of fun. You may know the spot I would stop at. There used to be a really nice restaurant right on the creek...but it burned down. I would pull off there....it was just an idilic setting....crystal clear water....beaver swimming around. Those were the days.

Regards
    Places like that show up in my dreams from time to time. It may not always be about a bucket of fish but places like that live in our memories for a longtime.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Diawa Tournament SS700 (made in Japan) on a G Loomis SR841 IMX 7' Ultra light. I use a foam elk hair caddis fly that I tie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast