HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Looks to me like an Armored catfish, but ive actually only seen a couple of them.
    Ive been told that they are very good eating by a hispanic guy who targets them and Tilapia on the upper reaches of the St. Johns.
    There are several of those guys who cast net them on the river and lakes south of RT 192, and thats where i was shown a few of them which were smaller than the one pictured here.
    Stands to reason that other areas along the river to the north could have some migration.
    Likes Greenedog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Looks to me like an Armored catfish, but ive actually only seen a couple of them.
    Ive been told that they are very good eating by a hispanic guy who targets them and Tilapia on the upper reaches of the St. Johns.
    There are several of those guys who cast net them on the river and lakes south of RT 192, and thats where i was shown a few of them which were smaller than the one pictured here.
    Stands to reason that other areas along the river to the north could have some migration.

Yep, they can only take water temp at such-and-such degrees before they'll kick over and die (like tilapia also), that's why they are found
    from around central Fl and southward = but, as climate warms they of course will be found further northward etc, etc, etc .....

Here is an example of their nest holes .....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Phantom309; 03-20-2020 at 06:52 AM.
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "
    Likes Greenedog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Never knew what those holes were. Dont see many down this way because we dont have many high banks like that for the most part.
    I assumed they were made by river Otters which i see on occaision.

Post Thanks / Like

Never knew what those holes were. Dont see many down this way because we dont have many high banks like that for the most part.
    I assumed they were made by river Otters which i see on occaision.
    Well ..... I was told by someone = just another fisherman that hangs out down at the Hwy#50 ramp = so, I "assumed" he knew
    what he was talking about = sounded pretty self assured. And don't see many otters around there = too busy for em etc .....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    Well ..... I was told by someone = just another fisherman that hangs out down at the Hwy#50 ramp = so, I "assumed" he knew
    what he was talking about = sounded pretty self assured. And don't see many otters around there = too busy for em etc .....
    You need to be in the quiet areas before you see them. Lots of quiet areas down this way, but also lots of airboats to take people to them.
    Living where you do, you no doubt have a boat that could take you to some of them. But weekdays are the best time for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Once in a great while (maybe once a year .... if that) I'll run across an otter or two .......
    However ...I haven't even been out in a couple years lately, maybe a couple trips
    a year to test the waters = don't catch much = done ...........

For you guys Shrimping = it's on like hotcakes over here ! ! ! ! ! !
    (and I ain't even doing none of that) ....
    Likes Speck Detector, skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks up2specks thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Once in a great while (maybe once a year .... if that) I'll run across an otter or two .......
    However ...I haven't even been out in a couple years lately, maybe a couple trips

Well i remember your situation with the passing of your wife.
    I can relate to that as i lost mine 11 years ago when she fell from a 2 step kitchen stool and fractured her scull on the hard tile floor.
    I had to sell the house as i couldnt walk over that spot anymore.
    We were living in the Keys and i was working my dream job of half day charters with my boat on an a part time basis for Hawks Cay resort.
    So i had to give that up when i moved. I have since been pretty much forced to give up on the salt, which i really prefer, due to my present condition. I will be 85 in a couple more weeks.
    But i really enjoy being in the remote areas alone, with only my imaginary friends for company. I always win the arguments that way. Lol
    Use google earth to follow the river south from 192. Ive only been as far as Hell n Blazes, and there is considerable skinny water to get that far. Best to keep a push pole on the boat unless you really know the area.
    Also google the area north from Stick marsh on the east side of the river.
    You can drive back in there on good sand roads from the Stick Marsh parking area on Mondays and Thursdays.
    But you cant go all the way to Palm Bay because they have it signed off. But you can go to the right at that point for quite a ways further and find a crude ramp. At the very end of Malabar Rd in Palm Bay, past the high school about a mile, there is a very nice launch area. You would need to create your own map from Google because there arent any others. And you cant get all the way to the south end toward Stick marsh, even with an airboat. Some day take a ride down that way as far as Stick Marsh and check it out. As you drive the 6 miles or so back the sand road to Stick marsh, on the left about 5 miles in you will see them working on the ramp area for the new 10.000 acre lake which is now 10 years old, and scheduled for early summer use.
    You can see that on Google also.
    Remember, Monday or Thursday for the dirt road tour, and take lunch along with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the confirmation Danny.....Back on the mid-night shift @ space center & have seen the Max Brewer launch parking lot full traveling in, especially a couple weeks ago w/full moon..kinda thought that may be going on....gotta stop by 1 morning & chew the fat w/ya...6ft rule , promise...
    crappie down !
    Likes Phantom309 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well i remember your situation with the passing of your wife.
    I can relate to that as i lost mine 11 years ago when she fell from a 2 step kitchen stool and fractured her scull on the hard tile floor.
    I had to sell the house as i couldnt walk over that spot anymore.
    We were living in the Keys and i was working my dream job of half day charters with my boat on an a part time basis for Hawks Cay resort.
    So i had to give that up when i moved. I have since been pretty much forced to give up on the salt, which i really prefer, due to my present condition. I will be 85 in a couple more weeks.
    But i really enjoy being in the remote areas alone, with only my imaginary friends for company. I always win the arguments that way. Lol
    Use google earth to follow the river south from 192. Ive only been as far as Hell n Blazes, and there is considerable skinny water to get that far. Best to keep a push pole on the boat unless you really know the area.
    Also google the area north from Stick marsh on the east side of the river.
    You can drive back in there on good sand roads from the Stick Marsh parking area on Mondays and Thursdays.
    But you cant go all the way to Palm Bay because they have it signed off. But you can go to the right at that point for quite a ways further and find a crude ramp. At the very end of Malabar Rd in Palm Bay, past the high school about a mile, there is a very nice launch area. You would need to create your own map from Google because there arent any others. And you cant get all the way to the south end toward Stick marsh, even with an airboat. Some day take a ride down that way as far as Stick Marsh and check it out. As you drive the 6 miles or so back the sand road to Stick marsh, on the left about 5 miles in you will see them working on the ramp area for the new 10.000 acre lake which is now 10 years old, and scheduled for early summer use.
    You can see that on Google also.
    Remember, Monday or Thursday for the dirt road tour, and take lunch along with you.

So sorry to here the story of your wife falling and the resulting consequences = that is a terribly sad story......
    I seriously doubt I'll be going back down that way (Stick Marsh).
    I am still on the verge of thinking of selling my boat = just lost interest of late = thought I'd bounce back
    but not yet etc, etc .....

Post Thanks / Like

Video of the catch...
    Likes Phantom309 LIKED above post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast