Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First crappie fishing boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default First crappie fishing boat

Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing my first boat for crappie fishing. I have been using my grandfather's old boat and a buddy's family boat. I am just looking for suggestions as to what I should be looking for in terms of boat manufacturer and outboard based on y'alls experience. I am on a pretty low budget (less than 10k) so I am looking for something used but something suitable for spider-rigging (I have the equipment for that). Any tips or suggestions as what to look for and where to look would be helpful.

Thanks!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep my eye on this forum. I almost pulled the trigger on a boat a member was selling several years ago, but another member got to it first ... and all indications are that he's satisfied with his purchase. I lucked into a friend's boat somewhat later and am satisfied with my purchase.

As to what brand/style/size boat, or brand of motor, that's a little trickier question.
    Likes jonken23 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Id look for a small 16-18 ft pontoon if you have something to pull it, love my 18 ft a lot better then any other boat Ive owned.. plenty of room to move around easy to spider rig or troll from. With a Xi5 trolling motor don't have to worry about using anchors even though it has electric anchors as long as not out in 20 mph winds.
    My 18 ft pontoon actually pulls pretty easy with my small v-8 Ford F-150, doesn't get great gas mileage but pulls down the road actually smoother then my last 14 ft Crestliner did, cant tell pontoon is back there the little boat you could feel every bump in road thru to from boat.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to find an excellent boat with that kind of jack. I’d get something that has lots of floor space like a Lund or Tracker. Deep V boats are great to do both spider and longline trolling. Family has plenty of room also.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net
    Likes redfin00, newbe2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at: Price recently dropped on perfect boat for a Crappie Newbie, listed in this section of ads. For a few more dollars and some luck you might could get that nice boat! Good luck
    Likes jonken23, Jman5626 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawgg View Post
    Take a look at: Price recently dropped on perfect boat for a Crappie Newbie, listed in this section of ads. For a few more dollars and some luck you might could get that nice boat! Good luck
    Agreed. I looked at that listing and wished I could afford it. It looks like a great setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

A fiberglass bass boat style with at least a 150 is a real good boat to start with. I like the room on the deck of them and you should be able to get a used one for that kind of money. Bad time of year to be buying used though they are higher in the spring.

Sent from my XT1650 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot for sale right now in your price range that are great boats. Just do your searches and don't be afraid to expand out beyond your local area. Just saw a 2012 Lowe Stinger 195 in great shape that sold for 10k. They are out there, don't give up.

Post Thanks / Like

For 10k you'd do well to try and find the biggest aluminum boat you can find, or at least an 1860.

Low maintenance, low cost, easy to tow, lower fuel bill than fiberglass. Also, with a newer model aluminum boat, you gain the track rail system, which allows an incredible amount of options for mounting things.

I also find it easier to drill holes into an aluminum boat vs. a fiberglass boat.

SeaArk is my favorite brand as they tend to use heavier gauge aluminum for their hulls (a hair more expensive as a result too), but I also like War Eagle, Lowe, Excel, Triton, and Crestliner.

Aluminum boats tend to hold their value well too in case you decide to upgrade after a few years, especially if you buy one that's at least 5 to 7 years old so the depreciation has slowed down dramatically, that would be about a 2013 model or older.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    For 10k you'd do well to try and find the biggest aluminum boat you can find, or at least an 1860.

Low maintenance, low cost, easy to tow, lower fuel bill than fiberglass. Also, with a newer model aluminum boat, you gain the track rail system, which allows an incredible amount of options for mounting things.

I also find it easier to drill holes into an aluminum boat vs. a fiberglass boat.

SeaArk is my favorite brand as they tend to use heavier gauge aluminum for their hulls (a hair more expensive as a result too), but I also like War Eagle, Lowe, Excel, Triton, and Crestliner.

Aluminum boats tend to hold their value well too in case you decide to upgrade after a few years, especially if you buy one that's at least 5 to 7 years old so the depreciation has slowed down dramatically, that would be about a 2013 model or older.
    Thanks! I am definitely leaning towards aluminum hull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast