Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rig rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig rods

Looking at buying some 12ft rods just looking for a good reasonably priced rod. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

BnM PST would be a good pole to start with

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jwater View Post
    BnM PST would be a good pole to start with
    Probably not a good choice for Spider Rigging only IMHO ... they're great for pushing jigs & Cranks with added weights.

BFKY -

IF I were going to buy Spider Rig rods ... I'd opt for 14' rods over 12ft rods. And I base that opinion on the fact that you're going to lose 1-2 feet or more of length beyond the bow of the boat, just from where you place the rod holder bases.

There are several brands of rods that would fit the bill for Spider Rigging ... BnM, Jenko, Southern Crappie, etc. and most of them are good rods. You might want to do a price check on them if your budget demands a limit. And you should also keep your eyes on the Personal Classifieds forum, as there are some decent deals to be had from other members.

You might also want to attend our Spring Fling @ Green 2020 ... where, as a member of this site, you have a chance at winning rods/reels & various other items, plus you'll receive a bag of "goodies" just for attending. You'll see all that info in my posts on the Kentucky forum ... and if you do a search for "Spring Fling" you can look at the pics of past years events & see a sample of our Sponsor Donation items.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Probably not a good choice for Spider Rigging only IMHO ... they're great for pushing jigs & Cranks with added weights.

BFKY -

IF I were going to buy Spider Rig rods ... I'd opt for 14' rods over 12ft rods. And I base that opinion on the fact that you're going to lose 1-2 feet or more of length beyond the bow of the boat, just from where you place the rod holder bases.

There are several brands of rods that would fit the bill for Spider Rigging ... BnM, Jenko, Southern Crappie, etc. and most of them are good rods. You might want to do a price check on them if your budget demands a limit. And you should also keep your eyes on the Personal Classifieds forum, as there are some decent deals to be had from other members.

You might also want to attend our Spring Fling @ Green 2020 ... where, as a member of this site, you have a chance at winning rods/reels & various other items, plus you'll receive a bag of "goodies" just for attending. You'll see all that info in my posts on the Kentucky forum ... and if you do a search for "Spring Fling" you can look at the pics of past years events & see a sample of our Sponsor Donation items.
    Definitely looking at 14ft rods just afraid to get more than I can deal with. You mentioned Jenko rods. Have you used any of the slab city series of rods?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jenko makes 2 lines of rods that would work. I have the 14’ spider trolls, heavier backbone than the slab city rods however I just fished a solid week with a friend and we used slab city rods. They also seem to have a strong backbone and a very sensitive tip, plenty of strength, we used 3/4 ounce weights and no problem landing several 2lb fish during the week. I’m probably going to get a set to use when the bite is a lighter.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BFKY View Post
    Definitely looking at 14ft rods just afraid to get more than I can deal with. You mentioned Jenko rods. Have you used any of the slab city series of rods?

I have not ... I have two BnM Capps/Coleman 14' rods and two BPS Uncle Buck's Deluxe 13' rods that I use to Push with. Personally, I don't Spider Rig, but these rods "would" work for that purpose. You might want to contact t.slabseeker (Tim Marple) on here about Jenko rods ... he's a guide & fishes in the Crappie USA tournament series and Jenko is one of his sponsors. You can post in the KY forum or send him a PM. You can tell him that Pappy sent you for info on Jenko rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBELL View Post
    Jenko makes 2 lines of rods that would work. I have the 14’ spider trolls, heavier backbone than the slab city rods however I just fished a solid week with a friend and we used slab city rods. They also seem to have a strong backbone and a very sensitive tip, plenty of strength, we used 3/4 ounce weights and no problem landing several 2lb fish during the week. I’m probably going to get a set to use when the bite is a lighter.

Ok thanks for the info. I’ve felt of the slab city rods and like them especially at that price. Not trying to be cheap just hate to sink a lot of money into it just getting started.

Likes DBELL LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I have not ... I have two BnM Capps/Coleman 14' rods and two BPS Uncle Buck's Deluxe 13' rods that I use to Push with. Personally, I don't Spider Rig, but these rods "would" work for that purpose. You might want to contact t.slabseeker (Tim Marple) on here about Jenko rods ... he's a guide & fishes in the Crappie USA tournament series and Jenko is one of his sponsors. You can post in the KY forum or send him a PM. You can tell him that Pappy sent you for info on Jenko rods.
    Ok I may try that. Thanks so much for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BFKY View Post
    Ok thanks for the info. I’ve felt of the slab city rods and like them especially at that price. Not trying to be cheap just hate to sink a lot of money into it just getting started.

They are definitely not a cheap feeling or performing rod. You probably would be very happy with the purchase. Much higher end rods than what I started with.

Likes DHC LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Grizzly Jigs,Tell them what your looking for and your budget...They will fix ya up..

Sent from my SM-J337A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast