HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM reels relating to panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Do I need to tune up my reels? I read where many of you tune up these reels with extra bearings and other fixings. Am I ok if I don't do that?

FWIW, I'm happy with the performance out of the factory. What's the main reason for tuning these reels up? I mean at $250-$300 a pop, they shouldn't need tuning up, IMO. LOL
    Likes John Scott LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Do I need to tune up my reels? I read where many of you tune up these reels with extra bearings and other fixings. Am I ok if I don't do that?

FWIW, I'm happy with the performance out of the factory. What's the main reason for tuning these reels up? I mean at $250-$300 a pop, they shouldn't need tuning up, IMO. LOL
    Well this is up for discussion for sure. One of the biggest things one can do to immediately feel the advantages of adding bearings...or tuning as you will....is to add bearings to the knob on the handle. That you can feel as it does make for a much smoother rotation. Some reels cannot be tuned...or it is not worth it to tune. On the Ballistic FW LT 1000S-P the tuning kit adds 2 bearings for the knob....it has bearings for spool support and drag support. You will in all likelihood not feel any difference after adding the drag and spool support bearings. But the drag system on the reel will function more smoothly than when it had the bushings. How much this is worth is up for debate. Another big upgrade that is worth the money is either adding a line roller bearing if the reel did not have one...or adding one more for a total of 2 bearing line roller system. I think you have the Ballistic FW LT 1000S-P reel. For around 47 bucks you can upgrade that reel to the Daiwa SLP Works Day Sprout DSLT 1000S-P. The Day Sprout reel costs 340 bucks delivered to your door. The only difference between the Ballistic I upgraded and the Day Sprout is it is painted all black. Daiwa and Shimano both offer tuned reels in some models. The Presso Limited is a highly tuned Presso.....the Shimano Vanquish FW Tuned is a tuned Vanquish. Some will even have the gears in reels polished to make for smoother rotation. Changing handles and or knobs comes down to a personal preference thing and may not really give you better performance. Although many will disagree with that. The drag clicker on the 2020 Luvias and 2019 Ballistic FW are the same...not very loud at all. You can even change that as some do...but a custom drag clicker from HedgeHog runs about 75 bucks. If sometime you have nothing better to do check out the HedgeHog site and read up on reel tuning. There are other things you can do also such as changing out the line roller itself. As to whether high dollar reels need tuning or not is up for debate...but just to show you, Daiwa SLP Works offers an tuned Exist for around 750 dollars....a regular Exist sells for around 600 bucks.

Regards
    HEDGEHOG STUDIO|Official Distributor of Fishing Reel Bearing
    Thanks redearhoosier thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. The USA Daiwa site shows a 1000-size Luvias LT on the size chart. Daiwa | LUVIAS LT
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    Hmm. The USA Daiwa site shows a 1000-size Luvias LT on the size chart. Daiwa | LUVIAS LT
    That’s gonna sell for $350 in the USA and it comes with the deep spool.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I know, just weird the US/AU Luvias gets a 1000 size while Japan does not. Same body as 2000, different spool? No weight difference noted. Well, I thought it was interesting. Carry on.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

It's offered with a deep spool though. Who needs 250yds of mono? I've never seen panfish or trout spool anywhere close to that amount of line.

One can always add braid backing but it's another added expense and annoyance.

JDM for the win!

Thanks for the info and link though!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I brought it up to discuss about the dang 1000 size only. I'm well aware it has the stupid US deep spool. Forget it.
    Likes FishSolidATL, MtnFisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I brought it up to discuss about the dang 1000 size only. I'm well aware it has the stupid US deep spool. Forget it.
    No offense intended. It is interesting.....makes me curious where Daiwa is positioning itself with the 1000 series reels in Japan.....which the area trout anglers seem to buy a lot of. Not a lot of choice now for an intermediate priced reel. Really just the Ballistic FW. I’ve always intended to get an Exist but was putting it off for a while thinking they would come out with a Presso LT model and I would try it out.....sure do enjoy the Presso LTD. Should have bought more. Really is disappointing they don’t have the 20 Luvias in the 1000 size as I think this new Luvias is one fine piece of machinery.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes redearhoosier, MtnFisher LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It is weird though like you stated, no offense intended. USDM gets a 1000 Luvias LT yet JDM gets a 2000 Luvias LT.

Daiwa could easily offer a JDM Luvias 1000 LT with a shallow spool and maybe they will soon?

I almost bought a 20 Luvias 2000 LT but it seems better suited for 4lb-6lb. If they offer a 1000S size JDM 20 Luvias LT I will definitely order one.

Since I wanted/needed (2) spinning reels for 3lb test line recently I bought (2) JDM reels and one of them is not a Daiwa..........

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes redearhoosier LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely a fan of the 1000 series reels. I don't know if they just balance better with many of these rods, particularly the area rods. It stinks that the newest JDM Luvias no longer comes in the 1000 series!

I do have the 1000 series Ballistic, hopefully they don't discontinue that model.
    Likes jackie53 LIKED above post

Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138 ... LastLast