HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water survival

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't need to be in the Navy to know about the Shot Gauntlet...I know the Army had it too...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
    Very good information guys. Thanks for sharing. In the Air Force, they just taught us to wear a life jacket. Just kidding.
    Classic AF comment. 😊

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    Didn't need to be in the Navy to know about the Shot Gauntlet...I know the Army had it too...
    Yep, they sure did !! And the "don't look at the shooter, don't talk to the shooter, and hold your arm dead still" rule applied there, too. The warning about moving your arm or flinching could cause the vaccine gun to slice you open was the first thing I heard when I got in the line

Didn't see anyone faint or get sick from those inoculations, but I did see several pretty big guys try and climb over the desk when receiving the Gamma Globulin shot in the buttocks (at my overseas station).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Yep, they sure did !! And the "don't look at the shooter, don't talk to the shooter, and hold your arm dead still" rule applied there, too. The warning about moving your arm or flinching could cause the vaccine gun to slice you open was the first thing I heard when I got in the line

Didn't see anyone faint or get sick from those inoculations, but I did see several pretty big guys try and climb over the desk when receiving the Gamma Globulin shot in the buttocks (at my overseas station).
    Oh yes, the Gamma Globulin shot (I couldn't remember the name of it) was much like getting an injection of winter time gear oil in your back side... and then they'd take you out and run you like a greyhound, claiming that muscular exercise was the only way to dissipate the heavy consistency of the compound. Honestly, you could feel the lump of vaccine in your back end... that felt much like a handball embedded in your muscle tissue. Oh, the memories.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Wow brings back memories..SD boot camp,NAS North Island, NAS Lemore,VN,USS Oriskany,USS Bon Hom Richard,Yuma az,Fallon nv,29 Palms...Just a few memories of places that I got to Go and serve and do all the stuff mentioned above ....Other than VN it was all good memories... AO 2 USN 64-68
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Yes, March to a grinder with several other company’s. Then when it came your co’s turn get in single file, dungaree shirt removed sleeves tied around waist, t shirt sleeves rolled up, single file March through a gauntlet of hospital corps men trainees with needles and shot-guns. Getting al inoculated up. Made that pass 3-4 times. Then form up March to chow hall. Standing on grinder and watch guys start passing out. This was back in the days when the first started using those guns. If you flinched or he slipped you got a slice on the arm along with the shot. Making me sick thinking about it.
    Did that in 66 at basic training, Ft. Ord California.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in the air force. One day our training instructor asked if we wanted to train on survival. Then he took our day room tv remote from us and said no snacks after 8 pm. The next day they made us do 5 extra push ups and watch a comedy movie about sailors training. True story.... I swear.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes shadow, rebranger LIKED above post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12