HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Line spooling

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    Here you go cp. This may answer your question.
    YouTube

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Yeah, I've watched several videos on that one and the other similar one and none actually show whether or not the line is any less "twisted" once it's on the reel. All I've seen to that effect is the comments from the person in the video and a few followers, most of which don't address that concern ... and even a few stated that they would soak the line spool in warm water for an hour to relax the line memory before using the device (same as some on here have suggested doing). A few did "say" they took the reel out casting & had no complaints about line twist, but did mention line spool memory being noticeable.

All in all I'm not dissing the product, but I think I'll continue to spool my lines the "old school" way ... then walk off about 75-100ft of line out in the yard & reel it back in thru the grass. That covers the majority of line length I'll ever use before changing out line and takes out any line twist from the spooling. I'm not all that concerned about the rest of the line being twisted on the reel spool, because I'll never use the line down to that level before stripping it all off and replacing it. Walking off the line and stretching it is something I already do as a normal practice, anyway, after not having used the reel for any extended period of time, so it's not an added step that I'm concerned about.
    However, it may just be a good product for Christmas presents for a couple of fishing buddies of mine
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish 1&2# test so I respool a lot. I bought one these gizmos and will never be without one. The spinning spool means NO line twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes silverside, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

This subject is one that is recently meaningful to me, because I just finished cleaning, stripping, lubricating and relining twenty-two fishing rod and reels and getting them ready for the 2020 fishing season. I did my re-lining the old fashioned way, however, and thought many times during the process about getting a re-lining device like the one featured on this thread... and I still may do so. The whole process took me about a week, working on it an hour here and an hour there... but it sure is good to know it's done and won't need to be repeated to that extent for another year or two. I agree with cpap that there are many vids on this subject all over youtube... each suggesting slightly different opinions/approaches to eliminate line twist.

Among the videos I watched: Richard Gene the Fishing Machine's video probably made as much sense as anything I've seen, because his approach called for the removal of the spool labels and then soaking the whole spool of line in water for a week or so prior to spoolin' it up on your reel. What made the most sense to me was: Soaking the line (in theory) actually removes all of the line memory from the line being spooled and showed a practical approach to "retraining" the line once it's installed on your reel. I don't think there's any way that's perfect, because spinning reels themselves (unlike baitcasters) actually cause line twist by the way they are designed to manage the line during the reeling process.

I usually use reel magic to keep the memory issues to a minimum, but in addition to that, I will periodically let out all (or the majority) of the line on my spinning reels while in the rod holders, while trolling at a slow speed; pinching the line between my fingers while reeling them in to get the line twist out.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Can't stand mono, and this thread reinforce everything I hate about it, Lol ...memory and line twist. Set y'all selves free and use braid. :
    Likes trypman1, Redge, Cray LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    I bought one and think it reduces line twist a lot when spooling. Any spin reel inherently adds twist, no matter what you do, unless you use a machine that turns the spool off the reel to fill. I am cobbing up an attachment for my cordless drill to do exactly that, and will be adding a level wind mechanism. I'm just waiting for my machinist friend to get around to making my parts.
    Sounds interesting
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you guys purchase this spooler?
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armyman View Post
    Bet Grizzly might have them! You going?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to laugh every time this topic comes up (and it seems to come up all the time)!

Using braid however is not always the answer depending on the application. I could probably explain the reasons why you get line twist a million different ways. You could also explain a contradicting point to every single thing that is said in relation to fixing the issue.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes DMC LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armyman View Post
    The one that I use is the Ultimate line winding system. I know that Amazon has it but others do as well. Prices vary.

Likes trypman1 LIKED above post
    Thanks armyman thanked you for this post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    Can't stand mono, and this thread reinforce everything I hate about it, Lol ...memory and line twist. Set y'all selves free and use braid. Line spooling
    Over half of my reels have braid and they have for many years. Sometimes braid is the best choice but I have found times when mono is a better choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast