HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two rod/reel/line questions

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default two rod/reel/line questions

How far (ball park in ft . ) can you cast with your set up ? Let's say a 1/64 oz. jig . I am curious as what I should expect if I spend more dollars to cast the lighter than 1/32 oz. jigs . My only justification will be casting distance since I have no problem catching gills/red ear on the present set up which is normally a 1/32 . Will the money spent translate into more larger beam or just numbers ?
    Likes BDBFishing, Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m very curious to know this as well. I have never used lighter than 1/32

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eagle 1 View Post
    How far (ball park in ft . ) can you cast with your set up ? Let's say a 1/64 oz. jig ... Will the money spent translate into more larger beam or just numbers ?
    I’ve never measured it exactly. I estimate 40-50 feet, depending on the line diameter. For that size jig, I wouldn’t use line thicker than .15mm.

The money will translate to a more pleasurable experience, IMO. Both a Mercedes and a cheap Toyota will get you to your destination. The Mercedes will give you a nicer ride.
    Thanks BDBFishing thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I estimate 40-50 feet
    Using what kind of setup ?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I look for a cast of between 40 to 60 feet. The Nanofil 2lb casts well but isn’t anything close to tough. Rub a branch and it will part. I am trying to find something tougher with the qualities to give me as good a cast as I can get. I have bought some Japanese nylon mono in 2.5 and 3lb and it worked very well for us yesterday. The 1/32 ball head(no collar) that my do it molds gives me weighs 1/43 and I use it a lot. The 1/64 with a collar actually weighs 1/48 and use it with plastics a lot. Rods vary from 5’6” to 6’6” and are all light to ultralight action. Others here speak of PE line (braid) and Ester lines that I have on my want list. The rods and reels contributing to a longer cast will have to be spoken of by others as mine aren’t high end but plenty good. One of my rods has the microwave guides and while a good concept, I wouldn’t spend the rent money for some but wouldn’t turn away from a good rod because it had them. I also have a couple of Wally Marshall rods with the bottom guide smaller than a nickel. I don’t see nor understand the advantage to this but I sure like the rods. Both of those have 2lb Nanofil. My take is that the guides on the rod being appropriate size and number and the qualities of the line is where a good cast will come from. Final note, casting a 1/80 is tough no matter what it’s on. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by skeetbum; 01-13-2020 at 05:55 AM.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its all in the wrist.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes Crestliner08, Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Use 2# test Fireline with a 2# test fluorocarbon leader. You'll cast far enough.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Techno2000, crappiestlkr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    The money will translate to a more pleasurable experience, IMO. Both a Mercedes and a cheap Toyota will get you to your destination. The Mercedes will give you a nicer ride.
    I think that kind of says it all. The lighter setups are just flat fun. My little creek doesn’t have any real monsters, but I can be on the water in under a half hour and catch 50-70 pans/crappie on a less than 1 mile wade. No people and just nature’s sounds. Perfect. Try the lighter jigs.
    bob
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've got two rods I'll use, both on the cheaper side. One is a Berkley Lightning Rod that I believe is 5 ft. 10 inches and was given to me as a present around the year 2000. The second is a Fenwick Eagle 6 ft. 6 in. rod I bought around 2 years ago. Both rods are Light action, rigged with small reels (not sure the brands, but also relatively cheap) and are running Trilene XL 2 lb. line. I get about 40 feet with the Lightning Rod and maybe 45 feet with the Fenwick when tossing a 1/64 oz. beetle. Don't have any high end gear to compare them to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    Using what kind of setup ?
    JDM rod and mono line. Reel is not JDM, but it is a high-end reel for the US market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast