HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helix 10 problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Helix 10 problems

I have installed a Helix 10" with DI&SI gen 2.

When I start the boat or use the unit with the outboard off, it looses power. I then have to restart the unit every time and it will work for a few minutes and cut off.

I have changed the battery and it didn't help. It is a group27 marine cranking/deep cycle battery.

I think it might be a voltage drop on starting the outboard, but to have it drop out when the motor isn't running?

Open to any suggestions.
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a low voltage problem. Best to run a dedicated wire to battery just for the sonar. It will need to be a heavy gauge wire and what ever size fuse your sonar recommends.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A reset or dip while starting the boat is because the starter motor is pulling mucho current, and pulling the voltage down. If the wires & batt are properly sized and connections good, and there is no issue with the starter, it shouldn't happen. Check battery connections and wiring, and - as scrat posted - use dedicated wire directly to batt is generally best.

As for resetting when not starting, I agree with scrat this sounds like low-voltage fault probably caused by a wiring issue. If possible, measure the voltage while Helix is on, as close to unit as you can. Or, set a voltage alarm and incrementally decrease the setting until the alarm goes off.

My boat has a short run of #8 from batt posts (with 40A breaker) to a fuse panel mounted under console. Power to my console Helix 9 MSI+ unit goes straight to the panel with only the supplied power cord cord. No issues, full voltage always.
    Last edited by jawjatek; 12-17-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: clarity
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Racoon View Post
    I have installed a Helix 10" with DI&SI gen 2.

When I start the boat or use the unit with the outboard off, it looses power. I then have to restart the unit every time and it will work for a few minutes and cut off.

I have changed the battery and it didn't help. It is a group27 marine cranking/deep cycle battery.

I think it might be a voltage drop on starting the outboard, but to have it drop out when the motor isn't running?

Open to any suggestions.
    If it’s cutting off when motor not running you have a connection problem. First thing I would check is plug on back of unit. I have read where several people have had issues with that plug staying in. Then go down the line and check every splice and connection on power and ground wire. I’m betting you have a bad connection at one of those points. I would wire it up direct or like Jawjatec did his.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes jawjatek, crappiemax LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the wire I use ... I use 10 gauge ...

Marine Grade Wire Duplex DC, Tinned Copper USA Made Boat Wiring

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Thanks slowhand thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I THINK IT IS IN YOUR CONNECTION AT THE BACK OF THE UNIT. I HAVE A 9 DOING THE VERY SAME THING AND HAVE ADDED SOME TINY PIECES OF WIRE ON BOTH SIDES OF CONNECTOR ON BACK OF UNIT TO MAKE CONNECTION

Post Thanks / Like

I put both my units in sleep mode before I crank the big engine. Takes about 10 seconds to do both units. Once the big motor has started just touch the power button and both units are powered back up. If your units are cutting off with the motor off you either have a bad battery or like suggested above bad wiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Guess I will be pulling out some wire or fishing new wire back to the battery.

Billynitten, could you better describe or show a picture of what you are adding tiny pieces of wire to the connector?

thanks again for the input!!
    I don't fish because I want to, I fish because I HAVE to !

Moma tried real hard.

Post Thanks / Like

For troubleshooting purposes, the first thing I would do is set the unit to show data boxes and set one of those to display voltage ..... or look at the voltage in the system status screen.
    If the voltage is low even before you try to crank the motor, you know you either have too small of wire or a bad connection somewhere causing the problem ..... do not use a glass type fuse holder. Use a marine spady type fuse. As some have mentioned, the connector on the back of the unit could also be the cause of voltage loss to the unit. There is a way to troubleshoot that also, but the first step is to see what the voltage is on the unit display without the motor running. With a fully charged battery and good wiring you should be seeing at least 12.2V or more

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

At 12.2 volts the battery is at 60%

Name:  voltchart1.gif
Views: 575
Size:  6.3 KB
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes Roy, "G" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast