HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dock shooting during the winter

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, So if I try to find docks on Guntersville to shoot in the winter, what depth water should I be looking in?

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Will your live scope read in shallower? I can’t find squat up here with Si I guess because of the wood and the shallower water and grass! I can find em on floating docks on other lakes with it but none of those here! They tell me that most docks up here close to the Chanel are good but I can’t catch squat on these docks much except early spring !

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you how many fish are under the dock with the LS, but I have to stop, deploy it and look to do that. No drive by scanning. I can't tell anything with SI either, most times. I did find one yesterday with fish under it that I saw on SI but they were out on the edge of the dock.
    Thanks Slabprowler thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You can use SI on shallow docks, you have to adjust your range and you probably want see the fish the same. On deep docks you will see the fish in the black. Shallow docks they will show up as shadows. Or at least that's how it's worked for me. I'm no expert on electronics. I've learn how to use them but all the little details are above my pay grad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn, can you see them on docks with posts? That's where I struggle and that's all we have up here. Somebody, maybe Rickie posted in the electronics forum to take the HB units to a lower frequency than Mega to cast a "flatter" beam and I've started doing that, but I still just normally see the white dots from the poles. It's entirely possible that I haven't found a dock loaded with crappie too. I'd like to follow somebody that's good at finding them so I could scan docks that they say has them on it, then look at it with my unit to see what it looks like on mine. Next time I find some with my LS on a dock, I'm gonna pull off it and drive by with my SI and see what I see. I wish I had thought about that yesterday when I did find one that was loaded. Only issue with those, they were unfishable. They were tight up under a boat that was sitting on a lift, right at the water level. I shot right beside the lift about 10 times and did catch one, but the ball of fish was about 3 feet to the left of where I could shoot.

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading and thinking. It Should be easier to "shoot" docks during the winter draw down stage. Ok so more thinking. Since apparently I ain't coordinated enough to shoot maybe I'll set the rod down put the jig in my son's sling shot.... Fire the jig and then grab the rod. "Dock slinging".

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes flintcreek, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

So the two largest fish (2 1/2 +) I've ever caught shooting docks on Guntersville, both came out of 4 FOW (on different docks) in winter! I know, not what you would expect on most lakes, but they were there and I shot a jig in to see what I could find and wham. I've never really been able to find a consistent dock pattern on the Big B.
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Furflyin unless there's a lot under a dock they don't show up really well in my experience. On some lakes I just fish the docks. Take Neely Henry for example you may only catch 1 or 2 fish under one dock and 30 under the next. I tend not to use Si on some dock. It is by far more helpful on deep cover (docks an brush) some lakes just don't have many good docks. I would just fish Weiss or Neely Henry when it's slow a guntervill. I live 20mins from Neely Henry and Logan Martin and I fish mostly at wedowee because it has better numbers. Just go where the bite is best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Slabprowler, DV8ed LIKED above post
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12