Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boat trailer wheel bearings

Post Thanks / Like

I use SKF bearings in my boat. I also pull them and repack them 2X per year. The biggest thing about bearings.... Make sure you change the race also. I've seen the old race left in, and put new bearings in. I actually saw that on a semi trailer not long ago. One brand of race, different brand of bearing, and the owner came to us because his hubs were getting too hot. Some of the Chinese stuff is junk, some of it is okay, but regardless of that, on some of the Chinese stuff, even bearings that interchange, don't always perfectly mate with the new bearings. I wouldn't use old races on USA bearings either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Problem with foreign made bearings is some are good and some aren’t. No way to tell the difference. I can tell you this a few years ago kenworth decided to use foreign made bearings. My life was a nightmare for about 6 months changing out bad bearings. My opinion is it’s not worth the money saved to be broke down on the rd.
    Are you referring to the Horton fan hubs? That was a nightmare caused by a non-approved spec change of the bearings. Big lawsuit over that.
    I'd rather be fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Although things may have changed since I was in the loop, I'm not aware of any bearings being produced stateside.
    I'd rather be fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sliderman View Post
    Although things may have changed since I was in the loop, I'm not aware of any bearings being produced stateside.

timken is made in usa (not all)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deltarat View Post
    Where do you find those kits? Do they have American made bearings?
    Just Google C. E. Smith Pregreased Replacement Hub Kit - several places carry them like Academy and Bass Pro Shops

No idea on whether they are American made bearings or not, because quite frankly I don't care about that little detail if I'm on the side of the road making an emergency repair. I've used bearings of all different brands for over 25+ years now, and like I said above, as long as you keep up the maintenance you shouldn't have any issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Northern Hydraulics and Tractor supply also carry pre-assembled hub kits if one of them is nearby.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

C E Smith Galvanized Hub Kits worked for me. Research and find which kit you need, then shop around on line. Prices vary greatly.
    Good seals and keep 'em greased for best service.
    At least a time or two each year, I roll out my floor jack and lift up boat, trailer, and all on one side then gently spin the wheel checking for any rumble and also tug on it to check for looseness, then do the other side. Takes me about 3 minutes tops. That's how I found a cracked roller bearing in a hub earlier this year. Wheel was not getting hot or any other sign. No substitute for a physical inspection. When you can, a complete tear down is great, but the jack method is 3 minutes well invested.
    Likes "G", slowhand LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Timken, SKF, and National all have some bearings that are made here. They also have stuff made elsewhere, it's luck of the draw pretty much.

Post Thanks / Like

If you aren’t paying $100+ for a dressed hub or $25+ for a bearing it’s not made in the USA.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to the Horton fan hubs? That was a nightmare caused by a non-approved spec change of the bearings. Big lawsuit over that.
    That one and the front wheel bearings. Had one fleet run front wheels of of 3 tractors in 6 months of putting them in service.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12