HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old age issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old age issues

Geez! I've been incredibly fortunate to enjoy excellent health especially not having any joint or back issues......until now.
    I seem to have irritated my sciatic nerve and it has gotten progressively more painful over the last week. It was OK yesterday, but I could barely walk when I woke up this morning. Kept thinking it would let up but no such luck.
    I actually had to use one of the electric carts at the grocery store this afternoon.
    I managed to get the boat hooked up since I planned on fishing tomorrow, but it's a game time decision now.
    I wouldn't wish this on anybody.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post
    Thanks engineman06, crp4570 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bad stuff! I been there... had back surgery in 07. i still have flare ups from time to time, takes 2 weeks sometimes to let up, load up on inflammation pills, and dont bend over if you can help it. i got nerve damage, at night my legs burn like crazy sometimes,I have to watch what I do at all times!
    Thanks SeaRay thanked you for this post

happycaster58 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Had my back surgery in '99. Still gives me problems especially on cold rainy days. Best advice is ice, ibuprofen, and slow easy walks on hard level ground. Sitting in soft chairs is the worst thing you can do. It may get better, but sooner or later, surgery is inevitable. Just get a good surgeon with decades of experience and don't be afraid to travel to a major city to get it done. Good luck!
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE A PINCHED SPINE AND THEY CANT OPERATE SO ALL I CAN DO IS PAIN MANAGEMENT AND IT HAS PRETTY MUCH BROUGHT MY FISHING TO A HALT BUT IAM HOPING I CAN GO NEXT WEEKEND IF ALL WORKS OUT
    NEVER KNEW REAL PAIN TIL MY BACK WENT OUT.

Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

People can't understand this kind of pain until they have gone through it or has it. I fight this 24/7 and like you said some days it will put a complete stop on your plans. Hope you get better soon Ray.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4
    Likes Smitty39365 LIKED above post
    Thanks SeaRay, BigDawgg thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to hear about your back Ray. Sometimes we have something to bother us but we still function and work our way through it. Seem's like if you got back problem it shuts down the whole body. I had surgery in 2000 and mind bothers me so bad sometimes that it look's like more surgery is coming. Anyway hope u start feeling better Ray.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you get to feeling better Ray! My Dad has been having similar issues with sciatic nerve pain as well as arthritis in his lower back and neck. It's been a painful endeavor for him.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to get sciatic nerve problems when I am prepping for our major out of town fishing trips. Mainly from moving big tackle bags and coolers by myself. Then sitting in the vehicle on a 12 hour drive seems to result in me barely being able to walk by the time we get to our destination. Unfortunately I'm the boat captain for the trip and the other guys are pretty lost if I don't go along, so laying out a day isn't an option. So I had to figure out a way to somewhat manage the issue so I can function.

I found the sciatic nerve pain didn't really have as much to do with my back as it did with extreme tightness in my hamstring. I know it sounds weird but if you talk to therapist they can confirm this. I got a stertching bnad so I can lay on the floor and loop the band over my foot and pull my leg up and get a really long and slowly progressing hamstring stretch. Then I ice my lower back after stretching and as soon as I get back in from fishing. The combination of stretching and ice seems to help more than any muscle relaxer or pain pill. May be worth a try.
    Likes BigDawgg, Smitty39365 LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Old age is not for sissies hope you get better soon Ray.

Post Thanks / Like

Well there was no fishing on the agenda today. I have a wonderful chiropractor that has always been up front with what he can and cannot help.
    Maybe once a year I'd irritate something in my lower back and he could fix me up in one or two visits.
    He's been treating this with heat, stretching and muscle stimulation. True to his style though, he told me if I wasn't much better by Wednesday after this morning's session I probably needed to get checked by an orthopedic doctor to see if I have a hip issue.
    So we'll see what's next.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast