Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat trailer wheel bearings

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat trailer wheel bearings

What has been your experience in using other than brand name wheel bearings.
    I have always used Timken, Federal-mongul etc. but with prices being sometimes as much as 4/5 times higher, I am beginning to wonder about using some of the China/Japan etc. bearings: also looking at buying a complete hub unit, it seems none of those complete units are advertising that they use the american made bearings. Anyone care to comment on their experience using either of the above mentioned bearings?????

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about all auto parts stores but O'riellys did carry the name brand bearings at reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with foreign made bearings is some are good and some aren’t. No way to tell the difference. I can tell you this a few years ago kenworth decided to use foreign made bearings. My life was a nightmare for about 6 months changing out bad bearings. My opinion is it’s not worth the money saved to be broke down on the rd.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Some Timken are made in China,I buy lots of bearings farming most say made in China...Even the so called American brands will have small print somewhere that say made in China.
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

DONT use CHINA.enought SAID.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
    DONT use CHINA.enought SAID.
    I'd like not to, but it's darn near impossible these days. Half the parts in cars come from China. Same with lots of other stuff. Even if made in USA some parts come from Chins.
    Sad situation we've put ourselves in.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Look on the internet. The last time I changed bearings on my trailer I bought the bearings at the local NAPA store. I could not get the old bearings out so I had to go to a friends auto shop to have the old ones pressed out, the hubs cleaned, and the new ones pressed in. Even though by buddy cut me a break on the labor, it and the bearings set me back a bit. Later I found brand new hubs with bearings on the net for less than I had paid to get it all done.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it matters too much unless you're the type that doesn't do a yearly inspection.

I've always tried to use the ones from UFP (which is now Dexter axle) out of Winchester, TN. I think they're just a distributor as I think the ones I got from them either had Timken or NTN on them.

I will say that buying bearings from O'Reilly or NAPA isn't cheap at all, their prices are crazy high. I usually order online when I can to save a few dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Later I found brand new hubs with bearings on the net for less than I had paid to get it all done.
    Exactly. Can get the whole assembly in a handy plastic case for $40 to $50 depending on the size you need, very handy to have on hand for long road trips for peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Exactly. Can get the whole assembly in a handy plastic case for $40 to $50 depending on the size you need, very handy to have on hand for long road trips for peace of mind.
    Where do you find those kits? Do they have American made bearings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast