Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Powder paint problem

Post Thanks / Like

One way to test the paint is if you have a nail or anything cheap and metal that you could heat up and dip in the powder paint to see how well it actually covers. If it covers well that will tell you it's something with the jig heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1177.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  36.7 KBi finally got some that are decent. I heated them longer and held them in the paint longer. I don’t know usually it in and out of the paint but the only I can get coverage is to keep in the paint a few seconds then tap the excess off

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The pink ones look like they weren't hot enough. Do a count in your head while over the heat source and add a second at a time until you get it right. I swish one time around in a circle to get each side evenly.

For me:
    Perfect temp is when you heat, dip, and take it out and it turns from grainy to smooth melted within a second of coming out of the jar. Coming out smooth is also fine and is an easier temp to reach consistently.

Coming out thick and clumpy means too hot, and/or in the paint too long.

In your case, coming out powdery and not covered means too cold so the powder that came into contact with the jig didn't melt and stick.

Coming out grainy but covered should smooth over to a perfect finish within a second or two if you stick it back over your heat source after dipping, and you can add a second to your heat count to prevent this extra step. Sometimes it will smooth out in the oven, but not always.

If temp control doesn't fix it then the only other idea I have is oily/dirty jigheads. Try cleaning with acetone or alcohol. Other option would be some bad powder paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures View Post
    The pink ones look like they weren't hot enough. Do a count in your head while over the heat source and add a second at a time until you get it right. I swish one time around in a circle to get each side evenly.

For me:
    Perfect temp is when you heat, dip, and take it out and it turns from grainy to smooth melted within a second of coming out of the jar. Coming out smooth is also fine and is an easier temp to reach consistently.

Coming out thick and clumpy means too hot, and/or in the paint too long.

In your case, coming out powdery and not covered means too cold so the powder that came into contact with the jig didn't melt and stick.

Coming out grainy but covered should smooth over to a perfect finish within a second or two if you stick it back over your heat source after dipping, and you can add a second to your heat count to prevent this extra step. Sometimes it will smooth out in the oven, but not always.

If temp control doesn't fix it then the only other idea I have is oily/dirty jigheads. Try cleaning with acetone or alcohol. Other option would be some bad powder paint.
    Thanks appreciate the help. I heated longer and keeper them in paint a little longer seemed to help.

Likes smoothlures LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Thanks appreciate the help. I heated longer and keeper them in paint a little longer seemed to help.

Mike I use a different count for most every size head. !/32 I can count to 6, 3 on each side and dip, but know how fast or slow you count make a big difference and on a 1/32 you could easy melt the lead right off the hook, lol! On 1/16, I could 4 on each side and on 1/8 I count to 4 (3) times and 1/4 oz about the same as 1/8, close anyway.

Remember I am in the flame and not just hot air making a lot of noise, lol!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can reheat the carefully, before baking, and it usually will smooth the paint out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    G3PO
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to think heat gun ain’t working right. I think the heat element is going in and out so I’m thinking I heated longer but it was cooling instead of heating. Fan is working but the element is turning off and on. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like time for a new heat gun.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Yep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Starting to think heat gun ain’t working right. I think the heat element is going in and out so I’m thinking I heated longer but it was cooling instead of heating. Fan is working but the element is turning off and on. Lol

Try the black and yellow Wagner from Home Depot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast