HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advantages of high end reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advantages of high end reels

After reading the thread about the best reels for $200 I thought I would start this thread to learn what some of the advantages are to owning these reels. I saw where someone said they will cast better and have less line twist. Also some of them hold less line so that changing line require less line to be needed. I've mostly used mostly 2000 series Daiwa from US suppliers. Looking for recommendations for brands and Japaneese tackle dealers.

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess smoother drag system, higher bearing count should mean smoother operation.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

In the bream and panfish board there is a sticky thread on JDM reels.
    A member here, Alphahawk, has a YouTube channel where he has discussed several Daiwa JDM higher end reels.
    I have a higher end Daiwa reel that is so smooth it is unbelievable, and incredibly light weight.
    Seriously, I currently have no rod that is worthy of this reel. But Christmas is coming soon...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    After reading the thread about the best reels for $200 I thought I would start this thread to learn what some of the advantages are to owning these reels. I saw where someone said they will cast better and have less line twist. Also some of them hold less line so that changing line require less line to be needed. I've mostly used mostly 2000 series Daiwa from US suppliers. Looking for recommendations for brands and Japaneese tackle dealers.
    You would be better served to post this over at the Panfish forum. There is already a lot of JDM info over there and if you want I have several videos on YouTube...TroutMagnetMan.....that has reviews and discussion of JDM reels. I will tell you this....if you purchase a JDM reel that is made in Japan....not all JDM gear is actually made in Japan.....there will be no turning back to US domestic market reels....they are that good. To crank the handle on one is pure joy.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the moderator will move this thread for me. If not I'll repost in the panfish section.

Post Thanks / Like

As noted above, check out the JDM reel sticky thread above for more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    After reading the thread about the best reels for $200 I thought I would start this thread to learn what some of the advantages are to owning these reels. I saw where someone said they will cast better and have less line twist.
    Both are correct. I’ve been a member since 2006 and have read about 1,000 “line twist” posts. People always assume the line is causing the problem. IMO, the reel has far more to do with it than the line. Cheap reels = lotsa line twist.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

High end reels made in Japan have much higher machined tolerances on the gears.....better bearings.....more bearings. They save weight where they can. Many of the reels will have 2 bearings in the roller guide and are machined to really cut down on line twists. Believe me they work very well. I don’t get line twist and I keep a very loose drag due to the fact I use true 2.1# test polyester line which has no stretch and will snap in a heart beat fighting in Smallies and KY bass. The drags on these reels are superb. They also do a better job of laying line on the spool. The UL reels all have shallow spools which will hold approximately 100 meters of 2# test line with the diameter of .125mm and the shallow spool makes for better casting distance. They hold up extremely well and if given just a yearly service they will last for a lot of years. The smoothness of these reels is just something one can’t describe....you just have to feel it. I have reels from the 230 dollar mark up to the 400 dollar mark. Yes the higher you go the better they are. My go to reel is the Daiwa Luvias. It is simply superb. I also have a Shimano Twin Power that is probably a little smoother than the Luvias...it costs a little more and it also has bearings in the handle knob. I have added 3 bearings to each of my Luvias reels to make them as smooth as possible. That includes 2 bearings in the handle knob and one bearing on the spool support that replaced a metal bushing. The highest end reel I currently own is the Daiwa Presso Limited 1025. Normally selling for around 400 dollars but several of us on here got it on sale for around 230 bucks. Turning the handle on it is like turning air...it is unbelievably smooth. I wish I had bought a couple of more as they are no longer on sale. The Presso reel was made for Japanese trout tournament anglers where smoothness is paramount. The handle on the reel is 5mm shorter than other Daiwa UL reels to help with smoothness and feel. I wish all my reels were the Presso Limited...or higher. I am always pursuing new gear out of Japan...it truly is a curse to get into JDM gear....you just don’t want to put it down. My goal within the next year is to purchase a Daiwa Exist.....which is as high as it goes in the Daiwa line up. At 68 I don’t have enough years...or money....LOL......to try out all I want to but I’m going to do my best. I like to tell folks you certainly don’t need these reels to catch fish. But I think if one is a finesse fisherman, using jigs that are as small as a half gram I think a reel like the Luvias...and for sure the Presso Limited....gives one an advantage of feeling the jig head. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have and there are quite a few others on here who have experience with these reels also.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to the moderator for moving this thread! Also thanks for the replies so far. What are JDM reels, are they just reels from Japan? I'm wanting to stay in the $200 range starting off. I will be using 4lb line casting for crappie. A UL reel is fine, but I would rather have the spool size to be from a 2000 size reel. I have ordered from PLAT before so I'm good ordering from Japan. Please offer suggestions. Again thanks for taking time to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa 2004H Luvias would be a fine reel in your price range

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast