HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting my old Evinrude

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I drainded the lower unit a loooong time ago. Didn't want the headache that Illinois winters can cause due to a little water left in it. This boat had been outside uncovered for 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by silverside; 09-18-2019 at 03:54 PM.

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Should be fine to run for a minute to see if it will pump. Mud dobbers love to plug up the tatle tail hole.
    I did find a small wasp nest after I looked under the hoodStarting my old Evinrude

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Please replace that old pump before you crank it. It is probably dry rotted and the last thing you want is pieces getting in your cooling system.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G", Redge LIKED above post
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    I did find a small wasp nest after I looked under the hoodStarting my old Evinrude

Had two big nest on the trailer bunks and one on the back casting seat. They worked me over pretty good.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Once you get it running an old boat motor mechanic told me to mix the first tank of gas at 25 to 1 like a new motor to lube everything up real well and run it slow at first until everything gets lubed up well....run it like a new motor break in was his advice. I have done this on several old motors and done a few decarbs on some low compression motors with good success. Good Luck!
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=flintcreek;3889903]Once you get it running an old boat motor mechanic told me to mix the first tank of gas at 25 to 1 like a new motor to lube everything up real well and run it slow at first until everything gets lubed up well....run it like a new motor break in was his advice. I have done this on several old motors and done a few decarbs on some low compression motors with good success.
    Good advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    TheGrandPoohBah I have a Slightly Newer version of your old Fasttwin 18 for my 14 ft Raceline right now. Great engine still. Mine is a 1961 model...Silverside I sure hope you get yours sorted out. It will bring you great joy I'm sure...
    Great motors.
    I will never forget me and my Grand Daddy were in one of Dad's small V-Bottom Boats going fishing when I was maybe 10 years old. I was in the rear running the Fastwin 18 buzzing us down the river when Grand Daddy looked back and said "Are we wide open?", I said "Yep, wide open". He eased His way to the back of the boat, reached over me and adjusted the high speed jet knob, and in a second or two we were skint back flying down the river!
    The high and low speed adjustments were right there in easy reach, so it was with that motor if your gas was good and the plugs were clean, there was no reason you could not keep that motor running great at any time.
    30 years or so later, I reversed the role and did the favor for an older friend on His Evinrude. "Where did you learn that?" He asked. I just grinned.
    Dad always remembered what numbers the knobs were turned to. He had to. Many years ago we kept that motor in the house, and me and my Brother would sit on it like riding a horse and I am sure we twisted those big white knobs every which a way!
    Yep, I have an attachment to those old Evinrude motors! Always will!
    Dad's was a 1957, here is a 1958 almost the same. Check out that style!
    YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Brought back a good old memory

Post Thanks / Like

TheGrandPoohBah, Mine looks a bit different than that one, Next generation and my tank isn't pressurized...Name:  20180406_083955.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  63.8 KBName:  20180406_083809.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  52.1 KB These were taken about a week after I bought it. Same motor, just different cowl and the factory upgrade to a single hose...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking old motor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast