HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treble hook?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Treble hook?

Anyone here’d prefer to fish with lure instead of single Hook jig?
    Yesterday was another good day out with a few of lure types. I caught more than a few and it got to the point of being annoying to remove those treble hooks. It takes quite a lot more time and requires pliers almost every fish. I wear prescription and I need to remove my glasses to remove those hooks. Another thing is when you find where the hang out with single hook I can remove hook fast and cast for the next and catch more almost every cast, but treble hook by the time I’m done with the first or second fish the school already move to new spot.
    I plan to switch all of those treble to single hooks once I find the right size. It is fun fishing with those lure and quite often time the bite feel a lot more aggressive it just not a good way to fish for number. I plan to shop for more lures but I might have to put a stop on it until I can figure it out how to handle those hooks.
    Likes funfishers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

While watching fishing shows I've wondered how they get all those hooks out?
    The process of dealing with those hooks is not often shown.

Post Thanks / Like

In order to make crankbaits a little less prone to snagging I used to clip one of the forward facing hooks off the treble hook. The remaining two hooks would ride hooks up and eliminate a lot of the snagging when fished around weeds and structure. I didn't seem to miss any fish. With having made a treble hook into a double hook. I had one less hook to deal with in a fishes mouth
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes trypman1, ozarks ranger, svh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I abhor treble hooks. Not only do they harm fish targeted for release, but they can be downright dangerous to our well being as well. After years of experimentation with various hook alterations and replacements, I found this to be the best solution - for me:

Name:  Modified.jpg
Views: 5809
Size:  37.5 KB

This is using the VMC Inline single hook, designed to be a replacement for trebles. Works extremely well on crappie cranks and I've employed it now on blade baits for bass and lake trout, as well as spoons. You might do well to consider this alteration. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Redge, DRFISHDUCK, deathb4disco, mchech, ezgoing, svh LIKED above post
    Thanks Just_Bass, BobC thanked you for this post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice input Crestliner, I like it when someone has already done the homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I do what Crestliner08 does, on all my baits. I use a circle hook/ hooks when trolling! No problems.

Post Thanks / Like

No trebles for me. Trebles are from the debbil.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy, I’m not sure if VMC make one that small for mini crank bait. I have replaced most of my bass top water lures with in-line single hook. For crappies most of mine are either slow sink or suspended, thus changing hook size might make the lures not run true. Like one of this I have to add add some weight to make it sink. And I feel like hook up ratio decreased quite a bit with single hook.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes S10CHEVY, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I abhor treble hooks. Not only do they harm fish targeted for release, but they can be downright dangerous to our well being as well. After years of experimentation with various hook alterations and replacements, I found this to be the best solution - for me:

Name:  Modified.jpg
Views: 5809
Size:  37.5 KB

This is using the VMC Inline single hook, designed to be a replacement for trebles. Works extremely well on crappie cranks and I've employed it now on blade baits for bass and lake trout, as well as spoons. You might do well to consider this alteration. JMO!
    Thanks, I think I only have 1/0 and 3/0 VMC in-line single hook. What size is your lure and what size hook? How is the hook up ratio with that lure with no front hook? Most of the strike I got were from below so front hook is the one that fish take first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Bass View Post
    I’m not sure if VMC make one that small for mini crank bait.
    These go down to #6.

4945 VMC 7237BN Single In-Line Crankbait Hook (10pk)
    Thanks Just_Bass, BobC thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast