HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Outlet flow, water quality question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outlet flow, water quality question

Craig was at Pomona outlet yesterday, release rate of 1500 cfs. The smell of waste water sewage was so overwhelming coming right of the tube overspray! I've been to many outlets when dumping and never smelled anything close to what we experienced that day. Any ideas or referrals, I am very curious! Thanx, DK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkv View Post
    Craig was at Pomona outlet yesterday, release rate of 1500 cfs. The smell of waste water sewage was so overwhelming coming right of the tube overspray! I've been to many outlets when dumping and never smelled anything close to what we experienced that day. Any ideas or referrals, I am very curious! Thanx, DK
    Perhaps a thermocline has set up and the water coming out of the lake is un oxygenated water from below the thermocline. I've never experienced it myself but have heard of this phenomena before. I've heard the smell referred to as similar to rotten eggs stench. No oxygen in water below thermocline has likely been used up by bacteria consuming the waste and dead decaying organic material in the deeper no oxygen water.
    Likes IceNitro LIKED above post
    Thanks dkv thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also how did the actual lake itself look? Thinking of stopping by this week to fish it.
    Likes dkv, IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveinsene View Post
    Perhaps a thermocline has set up and the water coming out of the lake is un oxygenated water from below the thermocline. I've never experienced it myself but have heard of this phenomena before. I've heard the smell referred to as similar to rotten eggs stench. No oxygen in water below thermocline has likely been used up by bacteria consuming the waste and dead decaying organic material in the deeper no oxygen water.
    Forgot to add to this post that the awful smell is likely the byproduct of the bacteria going to work on dead matter in deeper water.
    Likes dkv LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The lake was light stain, water visibility about 12-15 in. That was on Tuesday and we caught 3 keepers and a short. Much rain since!
    Likes IceNitro LIKED above post

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkv View Post
    dkv,

Sorry for the slow reply.

Like others mentioned, the smell was likely caused by all the decaying plant material that the flood waters covered and killed. The outlet provided a place for the deeper water discharged from the lake to get "stirred up" making the odor more noticeable.

Probably somewhat conditions specific also as I didn't experience what you describe at El Dorado during our flooding. I'm not overly familiar with Pomona's limnological details, but if stratification had occurred and water was being released from the hypolimnion then that could cause the more intense sewage/hydrogen sulfide smell.

The COE may have a better answer if you would want to ask them. Their contact info is Phone: 785-453-2201 Email: [email protected]
    Thanks steveinsene, dkv thanked you for this post