HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM lines relating to panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Yet Another Line Experiment

The Yellow PE (Braid) by Unitaka is here to stay, I have put considerable seat time deep vertical jigging and pendulum casting with it this Summer and so far it has held up nicely.
    ?Name:  IMG_4785.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  99.7 KB
    Rated for a couple of my JDM rods, I can switch the braid spooled reel to any rod and get the same performance and confidence of not exceeding lb. test ratings. For a comparison and back up vertical jigging combination I tried some Berkeley Crystal Fireline in 2lb test (from Bass Pro) on my Majorcraft X-Ride.
    ?Name:  IMG_4786.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  81.3 KB
    The rod is rated for 5lb test, and I do not know the true breaking strength of the Fireline product but with the smooth Diawa drag and a good net I decided to use it alongside the Yellow Braid loaded on the Majorcraft Triple Cross, another rod rated for 5lb test line. I used the same lure on both rods, a light wire 1/32oz jig head with a Bobby Garland Baby Shad jig body.
    ?Name:  IMG_4783.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  97.4 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4784.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  88.6 KB
    Using both rods interchangeably and fishing 20+ft deep, I found both to detect the bites well, handle the Specks with ease, and bend the light wire hooks out of the brush well. Advantage on pulling out stuck jigs went slightly to the Fireline, but I sort of expected this. As far as casting, the Yellow Braid seemed smoother through the eyes but the pendulum/ cast retrieve bite detection was about equal. While the jig was sinking I could see both lines jump if something intercepted the falling bait, and have even learned how to detect when the jig hits a limb on the way down. I tied the same Palomar Knot in both lines, used no shock leader as a storm came through last night and really churned up the waters, and had no knot slippage that I was aware of. Abrasion resistance seemed about equal also, I re-tied a couple times on each rig.
    In conclusion, I like the Fireline Crystal product, it is readily available and compares almost equal to the JDM line. I do not know the true breaking strength of the Crystal, but with a good drag and quality piece of graphite I think it will stay on one of my reels for now. As always, your mileage may vary!! Oh yeah, fish were caught this morning during the experiment JDM lines relating to panfish
    ?Name:  IMG_4781.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  56.2 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes redearhoosier, PickwickDam LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    Yet Another Line Experiment

The Yellow PE (Braid) by Unitaka is here to stay, I have put considerable seat time deep vertical jigging and pendulum casting with it this Summer and so far it has held up nicely.
    ?Name:  IMG_4785.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  99.7 KB
    Rated for a couple of my JDM rods, I can switch the braid spooled reel to any rod and get the same performance and confidence of not exceeding lb. test ratings. For a comparison and back up vertical jigging combination I tried some Berkeley Crystal Fireline in 2lb test (from Bass Pro) on my Majorcraft X-Ride.
    ?Name:  IMG_4786.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  81.3 KB
    The rod is rated for 5lb test, and I do not know the true breaking strength of the Fireline product but with the smooth Diawa drag and a good net I decided to use it alongside the Yellow Braid loaded on the Majorcraft Triple Cross, another rod rated for 5lb test line. I used the same lure on both rods, a light wire 1/32oz jig head with a Bobby Garland Baby Shad jig body.
    ?Name:  IMG_4783.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  97.4 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4784.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  88.6 KB
    Using both rods interchangeably and fishing 20+ft deep, I found both to detect the bites well, handle the Specks with ease, and bend the light wire hooks out of the brush well. Advantage on pulling out stuck jigs went slightly to the Fireline, but I sort of expected this. As far as casting, the Yellow Braid seemed smoother through the eyes but the pendulum/ cast retrieve bite detection was about equal. While the jig was sinking I could see both lines jump if something intercepted the falling bait, and have even learned how to detect when the jig hits a limb on the way down. I tied the same Palomar Knot in both lines, used no shock leader as a storm came through last night and really churned up the waters, and had no knot slippage that I was aware of. Abrasion resistance seemed about equal also, I re-tied a couple times on each rig.
    In conclusion, I like the Fireline Crystal product, it is readily available and compares almost equal to the JDM line. I do not know the true breaking strength of the Crystal, but with a good drag and quality piece of graphite I think it will stay on one of my reels for now. As always, your mileage may vary!! Oh yeah, fish were caught this morning during the experiment JDM lines relating to panfish
    ?Name:  IMG_4781.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  56.2 KB

Good read.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks StantheMan2567 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I order some of this in 3.3 lb rating. It was one of the only Ester lines I could find over 3lb.
    Name:  IMG_1745.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  37.2 KB
    They also make it in 4.4 pounds but that exceeded the max line strength of my JDM rods.
    Name:  IMG_1746.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  35.9 KB
    I hope it gets here before next Friday. I am planning on chasing some smallmouth around a stream and I want to give it a good test.

Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Some info on ester mono. The other day....and today.........I lost some fish due to line breakage that I didn’t quite understand. After losing 2 fish today I pulled some ester off the reel and just a slight pull and it broke.....way too easy. Get home and tested it out on my Bouz Drag Checker. It was breaking at around 1.2#......checked another reel I had spooled up and it broke about the same. Checked my new ester line and it breaks at the 2.3# test. This line had been on these 2 reels all spring and summer up until today. Both reels I have been using are in direct sunlight the complete day I’m fishing......which as most know I’m out a lot in spring and summer. Evidently ester breaks down from UV rays. I personally have no problem changing line out every couple of months but some may not like that. Just thought I would put the info out there. I know of no other reason that would cause this line to deteriorate.

Regards

Thanks LedHed, PickwickDam thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good info Randy.

Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All. I'm looking for line recommendations for the Tenryu Lunakia 6'3" model. Will be wading a rock bottomed warmwater creek where depths are for the most part 3' or less, and deeper spots are easy to work around and fish. Primary target is panfish using micro softbaits such as trout magnets, etc. Budget doesn't have a high end reel in it at this time - will be using a Pflueger 20. Nylon mono or ?...
    Thanks for any advice,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Well......I will pass on what Chris reminded me of a good while back. One spends a lot of money on a JDM rod and you might not be getting the most out of it with an inferior line. It is hard to beat Japanese premium lines. When using nylon I prefer the Varivas Sight Advance line....but the last I have was 2.5# rated and evidently the smallest they make now is 3# test......if using ester I also prefer the Varivas brand. I still have not gotten around to getting a good Japanese PE line but that is a good choice also. Since the rod is rated at 3# test max I assume you are going to stay under that. Recently I have been using the Sunline BMS FC line in 3# test....but that is a bit heavy and I feel the 2# test will be a good sweet spot there. Not as sensitive as ester but no leader required....easy to see.....and sensitivity is better than nylon mono. Chris is carrying the Sunline Troutist Lines......their diameter is smaller than other similar pound ratings on lines and should give great casting distance. I’m sure some others have ideas also.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a spreadsheet I made with my own personal scoring system of the lines I’ve tried thus far on my JdM equipment... So far, the Suffix Nanobraid and Varivas Red Ajing Ester mono are my favorites, I think, though that when I get the 2lb Sunline BMS 2lb that I just ordered in, it will shoot up to the toward the top of not being the all around #1, I really dislike tying leader knots.... which is something you’ll want to consider with that 6’3” Lunakia, it has the smallest guides as on any of my other rods... 2lb fluoro to the 2.3lb Ester with a 2 turn surgeons knot will sometimes click through those top guides enough to affect cast distance. If you want to stock with Nylon I can’t recommend the Sunlime Troutist Wild 3lb that Chris sells enough, it is fantastic nylon mono, my wife uses it exclusively.

Name:  IMG_0691.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  59.3 KB
    Likes StantheMan2567 LIKED above post
    Thanks PickwickDam thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yodie View Post
    ... I really dislike tying leader knots....
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.
    Ditto Dude!

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast