Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting exchange with Lowrance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting exchange with Lowrance

The power button stopped working on my HDS7 Touchscreen. I can turn it on and off by plugging in or disconnecting the power cabel so the unit seems fine except for the button.
    I called Lowrance Tech Support and I had a true test of my patience today. I was on the phone, mostly on hold, for 63 minutes. The lady was trying to be helpful but she has a script to follow and it was madding. I was instructed at least 3 times to turn the unit on using the power button. THE POWER BUTTON IS BROKEN!!!!!!!!!
    We finally got through all the various questions and 10 minute holds and came to the conclusion that....drum roll please.....I need to send it in for further testing.
    Now here is the kicker. I was asked to prepay a fee of $375 plus shipping and testing for a total of $425. If it cost less than that they would credit the difference back to my card less the $49 bench testing and $30 shipping to send it back to me.
    After careful consideration, I will continue just plugging it in when I get to the lake and unplugging when I leave.
    I would have had no problem prepaying the $49 for the bench test and based on what they found paying for the repair or just paying to have it shipped back to me. I think it is a simple fix to just the power button but I seriously doubt I would ever have gotten any of the $425 back.
    What they basically were doing was charging me for a rebuilt unit just like mine, then repairing mine for the next guy.
    This has placed a serious cloud over me ever buying another Lowrance unit.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes RobAnderson, svh, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ray, I agree with you that sounds kind of screwy !
    Maybe you could install a on/off toggle switch inline to keep life simple vs pulling the plug. The little connector pins can only take so much use & abuse.
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, SeaRay! Sounds like a new DF is in store for you. HB helix 9 mega image would do just fine. Good price can be found looking on the net I'm sure. I hope you can get it fixed. My HB 998c has the same issue and I found that if you press really hard on the side of the button it will do what you need done. Maybe if you try that and see! Good luck!

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the inconvenience Ray. Maybe you need to go to Garmin like I did.
    Likes strmwalker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to do the toggle switch thing for sure. Ron I bout pushed the button through the back of the unit trying to get it to turn on or off.
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sinkermaker View Post
    If I had your money I would.
    Likes BigDawgg, Redge LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ray, you did better than most. At least they offered to repair for a price. In most cases they tell you they don’t repair but will sell you a new unit at a discounted price which is still more than it’s worth. Went through that a couple of times and now you couldn’t run me down and give me a low range unit.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Hey Ray, you did better than most. At least they offered to repair for a price. In most cases they tell you they don’t repair but will sell you a new unit at a discounted price which is still more than it’s worth. Went through that a couple of times and now you couldn’t run me down and give me a low range unit.
    Now that's a GOOD ONE !!!!

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"

Post Thanks / Like

The crazy thing is I've had 2 occasions where I called Lowrance while I was on the water and had a problem and both times they talked me through a fix in just a few minutes. If I hadn't had my cell phone plugged in it would have died before we ever finished the call today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sinkermaker View Post
    I think im on my way to G

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    G3PO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast