HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This year the copperheads are viscious and aggressive!

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your reports they don't appear endangered, if anything they are spreading north.
    Maybe the DNR wants state wide propagation and I don't know if that is good or bad.
    I have been interested in this thread since it's start.

Cevans, do you wear the chaps when killing with a shovel? Sounds risky without.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have chaps and only wear them when early hunting in early squirrel season sometimes or depending what I am doing. The wife is deadly with a shovel cutting them up. Same for me. Just have to slow move around them and be careful. Molting season coming up and early spring mating season is when they can be really mean. You ever get into a nest of them, they will smell like cucumbers. Their smell in the spring time, will warn you you are maybe in alittle danger and need to back out of where you are. Had that happen to me only a couple of times mushroom hunting during mating season over the years. Once on north edge of Turkey Run St. Park and once up a ravin at the border of Crane Weapons Depot in a remote woods. Once hiking in Chas. Deam Wilderness at Monroe. Nebo Ridge hiking trail area will have timber rattlers as well as Brown Co and Chas Deam. Rattlers seem to be getting more populated.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Thanks funfishers thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am intrigued. Thank you

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Good tip on the cucumber smell, thanks for that.
    Here in Oklahoma they are mean at any size, 9 inch to 3 feet!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this spring is worst I have seen for copperheads. We killed 3 in the driveway sunning themselves when it warmed up last 4 weeks..then Friday, wife goes out to get me a 5 gal bucket to clean crappies with,,inside bucket was. 2.5’ copperhead she killed..in the last hour,,we must have a nest under front porch as we have killed 4 baby 12” copperheads one at a time as they crawl thrush the deck board spaces on the porch. Just got the hand sprayer out and sprayed everywhere including the garage with SnakeGuard made by a company that repels all snakes including rattlers...you can get this stuff off Amazon if you need it, wild spring for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Maybe this spring is worst I have seen for copperheads. We killed 3 in the driveway sunning themselves when it warmed up last 4 weeks..then Friday, wife goes out to get me a 5 gal bucket to clean crappies with,,inside bucket was. 2.5’ copperhead she killed..in the last hour,,we must have a nest under front porch as we have killed 4 baby 12” copperheads one at a time as they crawl thrush the deck board spaces on the porch. Just got the hand sprayer out and sprayed everywhere including the garage with SnakeGuard made by a company that repels all snakes including rattlers...you can get this stuff off Amazon if you need it, wild spring for sure!
    Where do you live? Brown County? Big rattlesnakes up in Brown County.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin Co. I wished they were Rattlers...at least they give warning sometimes..copperheads can be vicious most of the year and strike without warning.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering recently about you and your copperhead population, now I know.
    Good luck and be careful!

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Killed 9 so far this spring. 2 out of the pole barn garage, 1 at mail box, 2 out of driveway, yesterday 4 little ones off front deck porch. Hopping it slows down and weather settles down and gets warm and will slow them down. Gets cold,,then warms,,they come out to warm up in the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Wife killed 2 more 3 fters today at and near mail box. It’s ugly this spring.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast