HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire replacement

Post Thanks / Like

I found some 8 ply 13in tires on Etrailer.com. They are in Wentzville,Mo. Thanks for all the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered 2 Kenda (8 ply) from etrailer.com on Monday, had them on trailer Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably a dumb question but is the lug pattern on a 5 lug 13" rim the same as for a 12" rim. I'd like to change my 12" to 13" if it will clear my fenders. My boat is probably under 1000# but I tow it to south Florida each year and after 2 trips the thread is worn down a good bit. Even wear on them so I don't think it is alignment or balance issues. Seems just towing over 1000 miles at interstate speeds takes a lot out of them. Mu local trips throughout the year are more frequent but less that 50-80 miles round trip.
    This current pair are Kendra load range C and have 2 trips on them and I'm not sure they are good for a 3rd one.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Most utility and boat trailers I have had were "Ford Pattern" wheels, and the lug patterns were the same. One thing that can bite you on this is the size of the center hole. Some drums require the larger hole, some use the smaller hole.
    Sounds to me that what you are after is a larger tire OD that will fit in the fender well of the trailer, and I can see why. If you could find a 15" wheel and tire from somebody, try it on your trailer and examine for how much clearance is left. Compare that tire size with this "Tire Size Comparison Chart" and you could find what works well for you and your trailer. Good luck.
    Tire Size Comparison
    Thanks SeaRay thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCat View Post

Let us know how they do. I got my Carlisles from Amazon for about $4 more than the Greenball tires in your link.

Post Thanks / Like

I got C load rated tires at tractor supply.
    Hopefully they will last

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    G3PO

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My rig is just a few months old and I noticed a vibration coming back from Crankfest. My trailer has some kind of Chinese off-brand tires on it and one tire has almost completely worn thru. I checked all the pressures and one was just a couple of pounds under the 50psi of other 3 so they weren't low. I do run at or above the speed limit on Interstates and some tires just won't hold up to the high speeds. With all the tournament travel we will be doing this fall, I checked several on-line opinion polls on trailer tires and the Carlisle Radial Trail HD was near the top in all polls. I used to run Carlisles on my enclosed trailer that Slab now owns and was always pleased with the way they rode and held up. Yesterday I ordered 4 of the Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST205/75R14D/8 8 plys for about $260 from WalMart On-Line. I'll pay the service center to mount and balance them.

I called my trailer manufacturer and he said to be sure to check the wheel that the bad tire is on. Many times the wheel can be as much as an issue as the tire and he said they see a couple each year that was sold to them that can't be balanced. The factory will replace those. He also said they may have to go back to Carlisle tires like they used to put on all their trailers.

I hate to have to buy tires for what is essentially a new trailer but that is better than sitting on the side of the Interstate in the middle of a rain storm at night trying to change what's left of a bad tire.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Clint, Erin Brewer, Redge, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Since many of us are busy doing maintenance before spring I wanted to echo Doug’s recommendation for the Carlisle Radial Trail HD 8-ply tires. I looked to replace the no-longer-made Goodyear Marathons on my tandem axle and the new version (Goodyear Endurance) that many recommended came in at $115/tire before installation. I put a set of heavy load range F Carlisle radials on a gooseneck horse trailer many moons ago that we put thousands of miles on towing horses around the southeast with no issues.

Fast forward and I ordered five of the Radial Trail HDs from Walmart during a sale and they were ready for pickup within three days of placing the online order. The tires had fresh date codes and have not been sitting around a warehouse for any length of time. I went from 6 to 8 ply tires for the added puncture resistance and weight capacity since I keep a stupid amount of gear in the boat. I’ve been very pleased this far with the quality and handling of the tires on short hauls. While I can’t speak to the quality of all tires that Carlisle makes and certainly agree with investing in quality trailer tires, the Radial Trail HDs and their former radial line have left me very satisfied and with money in my pocket to boot. Kenda, Goodyear, Maxxis, and Freestar all make good radial trailer tires, just do your homework before jumping in.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally broke down and purchased the Carlisle Radial Trail HD 8-ply earlier today. Looking back thru this thread I had posted that I was close to needing them back in 2019. Never any trouble with my current tires but they are probably 10 years old. No sense in pushing my luck any further.
    Last edited by kycreek; 03-30-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12