Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carp

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great strides are being made for sure.

The new fish house in Eddyville has been a huge help, they've taken in 2 million pounds of carp so far this year, that's the one that pays more for ones specially taken out of Kentucky and Barkley Lakes, whereas the ones in Wickliffe and Paducah are mostly getting them from river fishermen.

I just hope the Bio Acoustic Fish Fence (BAFF) works. Has anyone heard a firm install date? I know the continued high water levels have prevented installation for quite some time, it's been crazy the amount of water we've had on the rivers since October.

It will be interesting to see what the sampling results shows. KDFWR will be on Barkley July 8-12 and on Kentucky July 15-19 netting carp in specific areas to evaluate the changes to the Asian carp population and determine the impacts of the removal efforts so far.

Local government leaders and business owners say 'War on Carp' is working

Post Thanks / Like

at pool above cannelton ky fish an wildlife have comercial fisherman fishing carp. town cr to oil cr .i think you can find details on facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry people that is not facebook,they were fishing in front of neighbor an she sent it to wife,shows what i no .

Post Thanks / Like

kyrich,nice post and information. Just wish someone in our state could figure out the 'biomass' of the carp in the lakes versus all the other fish. We currently have no idea if removing 2 million pounds has reduced the percentage of carp(lbs) in the lakes compared to all the other fish biomass. Is it 10% Bluegill, 25% LM Bass, 40% Catfish? I would think someone here would be smart enough to figure this out. They have done this in Indiana for the Carp, so it can be done. This measurement would truly let us know if the efforts on Carp is doing any good. (if we have 50 million pounds in the lakes, we have a long way to go, but NOBODY knows, but I may be wrong).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perchjerker108 View Post
    kyrich,nice post and information. Just wish someone in our state could figure out the 'biomass' of the carp in the lakes versus all the other fish. We currently have no idea if removing 2 million pounds has reduced the percentage of carp(lbs) in the lakes compared to all the other fish biomass. Is it 10% Bluegill, 25% LM Bass, 40% Catfish? I would think someone here would be smart enough to figure this out. They have done this in Indiana for the Carp, so it can be done. This measurement would truly let us know if the efforts on Carp is doing any good. (if we have 50 million pounds in the lakes, we have a long way to go, but NOBODY knows, but I may be wrong).
    KDFWR will be on Barkley July 8-12 and on Kentucky July 15-19 netting carp in specific areas to evaluate the changes to the Asian carp population and determine the impacts of the removal efforts so far.

What more are you wanting?

Post Thanks / Like

artcarney, I will let this go. You are correct on the upcoming data when they have needed time to make the reports. Looking forward to this info. Just was wishing for information on what mass/pounds of Carp where in the lake last year(best estimate), and how many pounds are in the lake now based on the best estimates they can make after the removal efforts. So, it may be in the upcoming reports. This will let us know how well the eradication process is going. I know they (our state guys) have done an excellent job working with the commercial guys to get the job done. Just would like to know if we are removing the carp faster than they are coming in. I fished KY Lake this spring, had no big problems with the Carp and will go back next year if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perchjerker108 View Post
    artcarney, I will let this go. You are correct on the upcoming data when they have needed time to make the reports. Looking forward to this info. Just was wishing for information on what mass/pounds of Carp where in the lake last year(best estimate), and how many pounds are in the lake now based on the best estimates they can make after the removal efforts. So, it may be in the upcoming reports. This will let us know how well the eradication process is going. I know they (our state guys) have done an excellent job working with the commercial guys to get the job done. Just would like to know if we are removing the carp faster than they are coming in. I fished KY Lake this spring, had no big problems with the Carp and will go back next year if I can.
    Adam Martin posted a video just the other day saying that they have not found any young of the year Asian carp in KY or Barkley. They did find some below the dam down around where the Clarks River empties into the Tennessee. It was a very informative video, it's on Facebook on the Western Kentucky Fisheries page.

The sampling they are doing, I believe they are hitting the same spots as they did last year so it's an apples-to-apples comparison. It will be interesting to see what they find.

I fish KY and Barkley regularly, I haven't had near as many run-ins with Asian Carp this year as I have in previous years, but then again most of my encounters are in the fall when they seem to be up in the shallow water more.

I caught several last night fishing below the dam....they sure are thick down there!
    Likes redearhoosier LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

artcarny, thanks, I think the report will be good. I'm sure the commercial fishing success would also be an indication of how we are doing. I hate it for them if they are having trouble netting the Carp, but this would let us know if the population is being reduced. On the fish below the dam, like you, they say there are a lot of them there (Carp). I used to come down in the Summer and fish the rip-rap for some nice Bluegill below Barkley dam from the bank . Don't know if the Carp are affecting this. Would like to come down and see, but may not get time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast