Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Herrington Lake Part Deux

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Herrington Lake Part Deux

Carl & I took another little jaunt down to the Dead Sea (aka Herrington Lake) to try and put a few more Bass in the boat.

First fish that bit I didn't get a good hookset on & it got off at the boat. Missed the next 3 bites. Around midnight we changed location and I finally put two in the boat, and let another one get off. When I was bringing in the last fish, Carl reeled in to help net the fish .... only to have one grab his bait and shake off at the boat while I was lifting mine over the side & into the boat.

Warm/muggy night with little to no breeze. Fish came from around 15ft deep & all on plastics this trip. Lake water temps ranged between 86-89deg surface temp.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re getting soft with those hooksets CP!! But at least you got out and caught something

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GREENFISH View Post
    You’re getting soft with those hooksets CP!! But at least you got out and caught something

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Yeah, I know

But, in my defense, it was a left hand/arm sideways to my left hookset in that one case, which is the weakest situation I have in setting the hook. (when a 6'6" heavy action rod & 20lb test line makes the hook barely protrude out of the side of a 7" worm, you know you didn't get max force on the hookset )
    Likes GREENFISH, perchjerker108 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

good job pappy.but you should have went after some of those big black crappie at night

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerBobj View Post
    good job pappy.but you should have went after some of those big black crappie at night
    I've certainly thought about doing just that, but it's been decades since I've even fished Herrington for Crappie, so I'd have to rely on places I fished as a young boy with my Grandparents. And the lake has changed a lot in those past 55-60yrs. Most of my early Crappie fishing days at Herrington were centered around 2 or 3 particular spots, and one of those spots is likely not even there any longer. Any Crappie fishing done in my 20's was Spring spawn fishing & I had a local resident friend that kept up with them. Shortly after those years I began fishing in the other lakes in Eastern & Central KY (Cave Run, Green River, Cumberland, and eventually Taylorsville) and just never went back to Herrington in pursuit of Crappie.