HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Fishing for Slabs Under Tight Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak Fishing for Slabs Under Tight Bridge

When it is hot (or even cold in the winter time) I sometime pull my kayak under a few tight bridges that I know of that only kayakers can go under/through as it is usually the deepest part of my shallow lakes in NJ. They hold a ton of crappies all year long. the big ones hold up in there REALLY well in the winter time, but in the video below that I am sharing, it's for me to escape the hot sunny day.

Gears used:
    Reel: Tsurinoya XF-50 (bait caster)
    Rod: Tsurinoya C472UL (Ultra light casting rod)
    Line: KastKing Fluorokote 4lb test
    Lure: 1/16 and 1/32 Jig heads w/ a 2 inch grubgail as my main. Tried a few others but seems like the grub tail was the most consistent.

Hope to see some of you guys under the bridges! lol
    Likes bwanajim, S10CHEVY, skeetbum, BoarBuster LIKED above post
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great job...bet it's nice and kool under there too...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

Good video. I do a lot of bridge fishing in my kayak and I found shorter rods and then dock shooting under the bridge helps me. Thumbs up.
    Likes Jamesdean, Ploveless LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    Great job...bet it's nice and kool under there too...
    thx man! it was great! i was out paddling all over for them crappies after these fronts and had no luck. It was hot and when i went under there.. it was glorious! so cool and relaxing. other than getting spider webs in my face and or smashing my head a few times.. i am glad i didn't break a rod tip LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    Good video. I do a lot of bridge fishing in my kayak and I found shorter rods and then dock shooting under the bridge helps me. Thumbs up.
    Thanks bud! Yeah i didn't expect to go under there and stay under there. I may bring out the ice fishing rod for even more fun LOLOL
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ice fishing rod....that does sound fun. I quickly learned having the longer rods doesn't work well. Just force of habit I kept hitting them on bridge when setting hook, etc. Shorter and you just about eliminate this. When not side arm casting the dock shooting lets you fire the bait off without the casting motion. I haven't given thought to ice rod but short little dock demon or the like would be fun....lol. Bridges also good place to just tie off and fish without having to fight the wind, etc in kayak. Good video, keep them coming.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ice fishing rod....that does sound fun. I quickly learned having the longer rods doesn't work well. Just force of habit I kept hitting them on bridge when setting hook, etc. Shorter and you just about eliminate this. When not side arm casting the dock shooting lets you fire the bait off without the casting motion. I haven't given thought to ice rod but short little dock demon or the like would be fun....lol. Bridges also good place to just tie off and fish without having to fight the wind, etc in kayak. Good video, keep them coming.
    Totally agree on the short rod. I wish that bridge have something i can tie on to. I may have to rig something up... might tie something to the bridge above like a rope and drop it down. one on each side, then i can tie down from there LOL.
    But shooting docks sounds good but i have no docks in my area

Sure i'll make sure i drop by once in a while with a video or two. I fish a lot and make a lot of videos but don't wanna come off too spammy LOl... I do a ton of panfishing, not sure if they are slabby enough to hang with the crappies tho :P

Post Thanks / Like

Dock shooting is just the technique I use to help shoot the lure when headroom is limited. Sidearm casting works as well. I’m not actually shooting docks...lol. That would also require spinning reel.

Got to thinking about how that bridge looked with the metal support beams you might could put a clamp on them and then tie rope to the clamp. The bridge I fish a ton has bolt things sticking up from columns and I just carabiner to those. Or I’ve also run line around the column but I didn’t see any in video.

Post Thanks / Like

Dock shooting is just the technique I use to help shoot the lure when headroom is limited. Sidearm casting works as well. I’m not actually shooting docks...lol. That would also require spinning reel.

Got to thinking about how that bridge looked with the metal support beams you might could put a clamp on them and then tie rope to the clamp. The bridge I fish a ton has bolt things sticking up from columns and I just carabiner to those. Or I’ve also run line around the column but I didn’t see any in video.
    yeah i stood up to see, i think i can do some things under but there's ton of birds setup there for nesting so i don't wanna bother them. i am afraid if i tie anyting under anywhere, if my kayak move, the line may destroy a nest LOL

but yea i need a spinning setup for shooting... but on the other hand, how do you like my BFS setup? ^_^

Post Thanks / Like

BFS... I’m sort of jealous....lol. It’s cool and I would like one eventually I think. That’s what I used always bass fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

You could do what Mean Gene The Fishing Machine has done in a couple of his videos, and thats take a measurement between those I beams on that bridge. and put a 2x4 in there kinda tight so it wont move around and tie off to it...And nice videos...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes rawr215 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast