HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Line question

Post Thanks / Like

Ok.Sounds correct.Trilene Big Game is my favorite line for bass fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I’d take one of your JDM rods and some 2.5# test line. Works out great for me.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I’d take one of your JDM rods and some 2.5# test line. Works out great for me.

Regards

I’m probably taking the new blue current with the Diawa presso. Ill use that when I’m by myself. I got a guide the first morning. This is a bucket list deal for me. Never caught a smallmouth before. Gonna be on table rock

Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There must be something wrong, how the line breaks inside spool if you did not do nothing? Maybe guides on your rod especially tip guide. FC line trend to break easily if nick or kink.
    Thanks murdok thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do know factually the Berkley Vanish is tough as nails and works very well
    the one spool of what you tried ,I tried and didn't care for it either
    my 2 cents
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Bass View Post
    There must be something wrong, how the line breaks inside spool if you did not do nothing? Maybe guides on your rod especially tip guide. FC line trend to break easily if nick or kink.
    i agree it was very strange the way it did. i spooled eight combo's with it. the same thing happened on all eight. . i wish i could have vidio'd what it was doing. i've used dozens of different lines some good some not so much but ive never seen anything happen quite like this. that was an $80.00 spool of line to boot. i stripped every one of my bass rods last night and respooled with 10lb berkley big game. 2 hrs worth of spooling.

Post Thanks / Like

Buying line, or anything else for that matter, is like buying anything. Most every manufacturer has their champions that won't try anything else. I only get Ande in bulk spools. I first got it because it was inexpensive. Been using it ever since. Got a spool of that stuff that is hard to tie a knot in, only guided fishing trip ever and the guide recommended it. Used it one time and never touched it again. For the kind of money they get for that stuff you should be able to tie a knot in it that won't slip out. I think sometime's about going back to braid on my level wind reels but Ande works great and is inexpensive. Funny thing about braid. My first ever level wind was a Zebco I got new in about 1966. I don't use the reel anymore and that original line is still on it. Got a new reel for the girl friend and it had some line on it you could catch a whale on. Thing didn't cast for beans. Removed the line, must have been 50# line, and filled her back up with 4# Ande and works fine now. I also have a level wind Shakesphere for several years I never used. Finally got a rod for it and the line that came on it was also junk if you wanted to cast it. Way to heavy and couldn't cast it. Now it has 10# Ande on it.

I sure might be missing something about line here and haven't a clue what it is. I've used Berkley and a few other's in the distant past and truth be known they were all fine. Only line's I haven't tried are those really inexpensive line's, look like junk to me. Other than the to heavy line's on new reels I replaced, I don't recall ever having a line fail me. In Europe on the Rod and Gun lakes for trout, used to go in the BX and get Chrystal sewing thread and use it on an ultra light Garcia with a 308 reel. Broke the line a few time's setting the hook but, that's the chance you take. Actually I'd like to find some today to try on a ultra light for these crappie, they don't get very big around here, 10" would be a giant!

I was down in Georgia in I think it was a Walmart, years ago looking at rods. Local guy came by and showed me how to test a rod. He put the front eyelet on the floor and ran it across a really thin crack in the floor, tile floor. He said with a good rod you can feel the crack when the eyelet cross's it. I must have banged up my hands to many time's! A whole lot of people in this country relate best of anything by price! One thing is for sure though. If you believe in all that stuff and your happy with what you have, your good to go! In the firearms world the hottest thing going is the 6.5 Creedmoor. pretty much exactly the same as the 260 Rem and the 260 is on the way out. Overwhelm's me!

It seem's like with most thing's, everything involved in choosing a product has evolved into a science! For me, it takes a lot of the fun out of it But then I don't catch as many fish as most of you.
    Likes murdok LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Local guy came by and showed me how to test a rod. He put the front eyelet on the floor and ran it across a really thin crack in the floor, tile floor. He said with a good rod you can feel the crack when the eyelet cross's it

And this is why I don't buy rods at Walmart !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Its because fluorocarbon has little stretch and is naturally brittle. So when the line digs in on itself and has that quick force applied to it when you cast, it will break almost every time. Upping to a thicker line so it doesn't dig in, or going to a stretchy mono that will stretch when that force is applied will fix it.

Same thing happens if you put 8-15lb braid on a casting rod and start chucking heavy lures.
    Last edited by Kevin22; 06-13-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you hadn't of said this happened on 8 rods, I would have thought a backlash possibly. Fluoro is very touchy about kinks. Sure sounds like a bad spool.
    Good luck with the smallmouth, you will have a Blast. Line question

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    What time is it? IT'S CRAPPIE TIME!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast