HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM lines relating to panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris for the quick response...There's 2 rods I'm looking at...
    Evergreen SaltySensation SPRS-60XUL-S Fine Sensor...The Line rating is PE 0.1 to 0.3 (MF 0.8 to 2 lb) Wt 48g
    Olympic 18 Super Bellezza GSBS-602XUL...Line rating 1-3 lb Wt 62g

I really want to stick with Ester, so would I be okay using 2.1 lb or should I drop down to 1.75 or 1.8 to be on the safe side? I don't want to take a chance of damaging a rod...
    Last edited by Gillfishn; 05-06-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the 2.1 would be fine.
    www.finesse-fishing.com
    Ultralight JDM Fishing Gear

Post Thanks / Like

After being on a non fishing vacation I needed an afternoon on the water. No rain here for 11 days and 7 straight days of 90+ degree air temps I knew the water would be somewhat clear and definitely warm. I decided to do a JDM Line test/comparison on some deep fish I was hoping would be in their summertime pattern. I spooled the Luvias with a 3lb Varivas Nylon and saddled it up to the Majorcraft X-Ride. Bait of choice was a BGBS on a 1/32oz light wire hook. On the 18 Corto, same reel spooled with the Mebaru sinking yellow braid, same bait and jighead. My plan was to vertical fish the nylon line and if I found some fish then pendulum cast the braid to the same deep fish. It worked well, the fish cooperated and I had a great evening.
    ?Name:  IMG_4394.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  45.9 KB
    Here is the nylon, and here is a nice Speck that fell prey to my offerings.
    ?Name:  IMG_4313.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  79.4 KB
    Thoughts on the Nylon after one trip, I do like it. Some characteristic stretch of nylon, but decent sensitivity. I was fishing about 17-20ft deep over 23-24 FOW, dropping the bait straight down and vertical jigging according to Crappy Pappy’s article found on here. The bite was a muted, soft thump you would expect from a deep nylon bite. The subsequent fight was definitely softened by the stretch of the nylon which offset the stiff Tubular tip of the 7.6 rod. The line is clear and not easy to see to re-tie, and definitely disappears soon as it goes subsurface. I would recommend this nylon for clear water applications. I did not use a shock leader and used a simple Palomar and improved Clinch for my knots. I have used SOS Trout Magnet 2lb Line and initially I would rate the Varivas a little better. Time will tell about twist and longevity. The diameter of this line is very fine and it casts well.
    Next up was the braid, same location I just backed off and let the bait pendulum more through the strike zone to get a feel of the sink rate and visible bite detection. Watching the fine clear Nylon was not an option.
    ?Name:  IMG_4395.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  59.3 KB
    First couple drops and I saw a slight tick on the line, set the hook and a blame Cricket Cruncher intercepted my bait before it hit the sweet spot.
    ?Name:  IMG_4322.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  73.2 KB
    Good fight and feel with the line and rod, have been using this setup shallow so I knew what to expect on this rodeo. A few more swings and a definite arm jarring thump was felt causing me to actually set the hook hard, a no no with this equipment and a fight was on with something from the depths. The whole time I thought Walleye but it turned out to be a 14in White Bass.
    ?Name:  IMG_4323.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  102.5 KB
    With the no stretch line I had to rely on the drag and rod bend to capture this quarry, and of course the landing net. I went on to stick several more Crappie with the Corto/Mebaru line and noticed a definite difference in the bite feel from the deep water. A sharp short tic was felt from the braid and I began the lifting/ hook setting process immediately. I started with a shock leader but broke it off in the brush, so I just tied directly to the jig with the braid with a simple Palomar knot and had no noticeable issues with line shy fish. This line casts like a jig like a bullet and is visible as far out as I need to see it. For Bluegill, a definite keeper combination and the line has shown little sign of wear and very little discoloration. If this line lasts through the Summer season I will consider it a win as it is much cheaper than 2lb Nanofil.
    In conclusion, for cost and availability the Varivas Nylon is a great line but I believe you can use the Trout Magnet Line and get almost virtually the same performance. I do like the braid, will re-order based on conclusions made so far. As I left the lake last night I scoped out a few dock lights that were on at dusk, so the 3lb Sunline Ester that glows in the UV light will be up next as I have black light plugs on the boat and have been wanting to do a Night Crappie trip for a couple summers now. Stay tuned for more line reports, I like to experiment around with different products.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks slowhand, redearhoosier thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good read and report I enjoyed. Good job with the catch as well.
    Thanks StantheMan2567 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed report STM! I know I am behind on the times and I need to give PE (braid) a shot. I really like the Sunline Ester but man it is hard to see in the day light. I have to take my polarized sunglasses off to see it and tie a leader on.

Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    After being on a non fishing vacation I needed an afternoon on the water. No rain here for 11 days and 7 straight days of 90+ degree air temps I knew the water would be somewhat clear and definitely warm. I decided to do a JDM Line test/comparison on some deep fish I was hoping would be in their summertime pattern. I spooled the Luvias with a 3lb Varivas Nylon and saddled it up to the Majorcraft X-Ride. Bait of choice was a BGBS on a 1/32oz light wire hook. On the 18 Corto, same reel spooled with the Mebaru sinking yellow braid, same bait and jighead. My plan was to vertical fish the nylon line and if I found some fish then pendulum cast the braid to the same deep fish. It worked well, the fish cooperated and I had a great evening.
    ?Name:  IMG_4394.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  45.9 KB
    Here is the nylon, and here is a nice Speck that fell prey to my offerings.
    ?Name:  IMG_4313.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  79.4 KB
    Thoughts on the Nylon after one trip, I do like it. Some characteristic stretch of nylon, but decent sensitivity. I was fishing about 17-20ft deep over 23-24 FOW, dropping the bait straight down and vertical jigging according to Crappy Pappy’s article found on here. The bite was a muted, soft thump you would expect from a deep nylon bite. The subsequent fight was definitely softened by the stretch of the nylon which offset the stiff Tubular tip of the 7.6 rod. The line is clear and not easy to see to re-tie, and definitely disappears soon as it goes subsurface. I would recommend this nylon for clear water applications. I did not use a shock leader and used a simple Palomar and improved Clinch for my knots. I have used SOS Trout Magnet 2lb Line and initially I would rate the Varivas a little better. Time will tell about twist and longevity. The diameter of this line is very fine and it casts well.
    Next up was the braid, same location I just backed off and let the bait pendulum more through the strike zone to get a feel of the sink rate and visible bite detection. Watching the fine clear Nylon was not an option.
    ?Name:  IMG_4395.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  59.3 KB
    First couple drops and I saw a slight tick on the line, set the hook and a blame Cricket Cruncher intercepted my bait before it hit the sweet spot.
    ?Name:  IMG_4322.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  73.2 KB
    Good fight and feel with the line and rod, have been using this setup shallow so I knew what to expect on this rodeo. A few more swings and a definite arm jarring thump was felt causing me to actually set the hook hard, a no no with this equipment and a fight was on with something from the depths. The whole time I thought Walleye but it turned out to be a 14in White Bass.
    ?Name:  IMG_4323.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  102.5 KB
    With the no stretch line I had to rely on the drag and rod bend to capture this quarry, and of course the landing net. I went on to stick several more Crappie with the Corto/Mebaru line and noticed a definite difference in the bite feel from the deep water. A sharp short tic was felt from the braid and I began the lifting/ hook setting process immediately. I started with a shock leader but broke it off in the brush, so I just tied directly to the jig with the braid with a simple Palomar knot and had no noticeable issues with line shy fish. This line casts like a jig like a bullet and is visible as far out as I need to see it. For Bluegill, a definite keeper combination and the line has shown little sign of wear and very little discoloration. If this line lasts through the Summer season I will consider it a win as it is much cheaper than 2lb Nanofil.
    In conclusion, for cost and availability the Varivas Nylon is a great line but I believe you can use the Trout Magnet Line and get almost virtually the same performance. I do like the braid, will re-order based on conclusions made so far. As I left the lake last night I scoped out a few dock lights that were on at dusk, so the 3lb Sunline Ester that glows in the UV light will be up next as I have black light plugs on the boat and have been wanting to do a Night Crappie trip for a couple summers now. Stay tuned for more line reports, I like to experiment around with different products.

Very good read. I now have enough reels that I can dedicate one for PE only...something I have been reluctant to do. I am holding my Night Blue ester in reserve for the July/August time frame to go after those Spots below Nickajack. Last year the 2.3# test ester worked out fine with the FineTail Banshee and I am sure the 3# test Night Blue will be just fine also. I am officially in love with ester line. I also need to dedicate one reel to straight through FC colored line. I still have the Twin Power spooled up with some Varivas 2.5# test Super Trout Advance Sight Edition from last year and it is holding up well. Why they no longer make that in 2.5# test is beyond me...but one thing's for sure......the Japanese have their own way of doing things. The line is orange in color and they have changed colors to green....I guess maybe you can see the green better? I have lost count of fish I have caught on 2# test SOS line and it has a place on one of my reels depending on what I am after. But using the 2.5# Varivas nylon I have an edge in casting distance over the SOS...as I should as it is much smaller diameter. I also give the nod to the Varivas being more sensitive...but then again it should as it is a smaller diameter. But there is no need of me acquiring the 3# test Varivas as it and SOS are, as you say, very similar. I will have to try another colored 2.5 pound test JDM line. Does the Night Blue ester also glow in the sunlight as the old UV lines we used years ago? If it doesn't I will have wasted my money....LOL. It is hard enough to see hi-vis lines....clear is just out of the question for me now.

Regards
    Likes LedHed LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

New JDM Reel and Line Review

Last week I spooled up my new Diawa Presso LTD 1025 spinning reel with some 3lb Sunline Ester. Both are new for me and things did not pan out well for a trip to the lake; work, weather, and the passing of a beloved family pet cluttered the week with obstacles. By Thursday afternoon I had enough and informed the wife were going to VA to see the grand babies and I was going to try out the new loaded weapons on their small lake. It is chock full of small to medium sized fish of all kinds, mainly Panfish, and hungry ones at that!!
    ?Name:  IMG_4494.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  86.3 KB
    The Corto got this evenings call to battle, and on the second cast a small Gill thumped my offerings. As for the line, nice first bite detection but some manageability issues were rearing their tangled head and it took about 15 minutes of watching the spool and knowing when to manually close the bail to get things rolling.
    ?Name:  IMG_4507.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  72.8 KB
    As for the reel, what a smooth operator, as nice as the Luvias 1003 but definitely lighter in the hand. The short stroke of the handle made the slow fishing of the micro jig a breeze, and actually helped with the presentation I was forced to employ from the bank. You will see that in a later picture. Next couple victims were some small Crappie, and their bite was just a deadening pull on the line, then an explosion of fight to the top of the water and a quick ski trip across the Lily pads.
    ?Name:  IMG_4509.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  117.6 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4518.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  64.1 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4522.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  61.0 KB
    A quick move down the bank and the next fish made a believer out of me for the line, reel, drag, and rod. A violent strike and fight through the pads yielded the best fish I have caught out of this small lake in 4 years, an old Largemouth.
    ?Name:  IMG_4511.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  54.9 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4513.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  71.1 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4515.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  67.1 KB
    From the above pictures you can see the vegetation extending out a good 5ft from the bank and trust me I think he wrapped me in at least 10lbs of it a couple times, but the gear performed flawlessly and I put my paws on him. Epic battle and a fun battle! Now, give me a 7ft St Croix UL with some 2lb Nanofil and the results would have been the same, but not as fun!! I caught several more Gills Name:  IMG_4520.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  121.4 KB
    then finished the evening with a nice Crappie as the Moon was rising over the trees.
    ?Name:  IMG_4527.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  45.4 KB
    I plan to get up early in the morning before the grand monsters awaken and slip my small flat bottom boat in and paddle around the lake to get more seat time on the line and reel. So far so good, stay tuned for more reports.

Likes PickwickDam LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    New JDM Reel and Line Review

Last week I spooled up my new Diawa Presso LTD 1025 spinning reel with some 3lb Sunline Ester. Both are new for me and things did not pan out well for a trip to the lake; work, weather, and the passing of a beloved family pet cluttered the week with obstacles. By Thursday afternoon I had enough and informed the wife were going to VA to see the grand babies and I was going to try out the new loaded weapons on their small lake. It is chock full of small to medium sized fish of all kinds, mainly Panfish, and hungry ones at that!!
    ?Name:  IMG_4494.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  86.3 KB
    The Corto got this evenings call to battle, and on the second cast a small Gill thumped my offerings. As for the line, nice first bite detection but some manageability issues were rearing their tangled head and it took about 15 minutes of watching the spool and knowing when to manually close the bail to get things rolling.
    ?Name:  IMG_4507.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  72.8 KB
    As for the reel, what a smooth operator, as nice as the Luvias 1003 but definitely lighter in the hand. The short stroke of the handle made the slow fishing of the micro jig a breeze, and actually helped with the presentation I was forced to employ from the bank. You will see that in a later picture. Next couple victims were some small Crappie, and their bite was just a deadening pull on the line, then an explosion of fight to the top of the water and a quick ski trip across the Lily pads.
    ?Name:  IMG_4509.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  117.6 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4518.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  64.1 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4522.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  61.0 KB
    A quick move down the bank and the next fish made a believer out of me for the line, reel, drag, and rod. A violent strike and fight through the pads yielded the best fish I have caught out of this small lake in 4 years, an old Largemouth.
    ?Name:  IMG_4511.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  54.9 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4513.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  71.1 KB
    ?Name:  IMG_4515.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  67.1 KB
    From the above pictures you can see the vegetation extending out a good 5ft from the bank and trust me I think he wrapped me in at least 10lbs of it a couple times, but the gear performed flawlessly and I put my paws on him. Epic battle and a fun battle! Now, give me a 7ft St Croix UL with some 2lb Nanofil and the results would have been the same, but not as fun!! I caught several more Gills Name:  IMG_4520.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  121.4 KB
    then finished the evening with a nice Crappie as the Moon was rising over the trees.
    ?Name:  IMG_4527.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  45.4 KB
    I plan to get up early in the morning before the grand monsters awaken and slip my small flat bottom boat in and paddle around the lake to get more seat time on the line and reel. So far so good, stay tuned for more reports.

Very nice read......pretty fish and good job on landing that bass. Spot on about the reel. Wish I had a couple of more. Pains me to hear about the line issue. I was hoping it would live up to its billing of having better manageability than other esters.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report and photos. Looking forward to tomorrow`s report.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default JDM lines relating to panfish

It was not as bad as the first time I tried Ester line. I think with a little more time I will like it. Bite detection is way ahead of nylon, I brought a JDM combo with the 3lb Nylon to fish tomorrow and make comparison notes on visibility. I did not bring the PE or the Nanofil, have limited time. I have fished Nanofil in this vegetation slop before and it does cut through the small pad stems better, but I have to say the Ester held its own as a couple small gills buried up in it and I was able to pull them out with ease.

Last edited by StantheMan2567; 06-14-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast