HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM reels relating to panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D10 View Post
    Here is an observation that I have recently made in regulars to the Luvias 2004 and 2004H. I got one of each because I wasn’t sure which I would like better. For my particular types of shallow, stumpy lakes, I prefer the 2004. The 2004H is more difficult for me to keep my retrieve slow and steady enough with the 0.5g jig heads. This is a non issue for the regular Luvias 2004. I’m not sure if others feel the same way but it sure seems like I caught more fish with the 2004 and I think it is because my retrieve was slower and more steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Buying a low speed reel was one of the best moves I ever made for UL fishing. When fishing shallow it allows me to keep the TM fluttering in their face as long as possible.....and it has opened up a whole new world for fishing deeper when using a sinking line.

Regards
    Likes John Scott LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Buying a low speed reel was one of the best moves I ever made for UL fishing. When fishing shallow it allows me to keep the TM fluttering in their face as long as possible.....and it has opened up a whole new world for fishing deeper when using a sinking line.

Regards
    I totally agree on the low speed reel, thought I always had to use 6:1 ratio or greater reels for everything, but from now on I will buy the slower gear ratio reels for UL spincasting. I still have my old Stradics to use for pulling crankbait for Crappie, but that’s about all I use a faster reel for nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    I totally agree on the low speed reel, thought I always had to use 6:1 ratio or greater reels for everything, but from now on I will buy the slower gear ratio reels for UL spincasting.
    That's another "bass thing" that has seeped into the tackle companies. The bass guys all want fast/faster/fastest reels, and it's hard to get the reels with slower gear ratios. One reason I abandoned Shimano years ago was that they had bought into the "faster is better" mantra. For jig fishing, faster is definitely not better.

I don't know what it is about the word "fast", but it invaded the fly fishing world, too. The rod companies pump out these fast action rods that everybody buys and few can cast.

Post Thanks / Like

I misspoke....I must have had Luvias 1003 on the brain......the reel is the 1025 Presso LTD. The Presso LTD is way ahead of the Luvias......but the question will be does it bring better performance for the cost you pay. No doubt mechanically it is superior in every way. I have 5 Luvias reels and all of them have had extra bearings installed. The 2015 Luvias reel is every bit as good as the 2013 model Certate I have. The 2015 Luvias is far superior to the 2012 Luvias I have....but all of them are great reels. I have played around with my nephews 2016 Certate....much better than the 2013 Certate. But the Presso LTD is in a much higher league than any of these reels. With 13 bearings...including 2 bearings in the line roller. Plus they are the CRBB or high end bearings....and weighing in at only 155 grams. But I have to tell you......at a 170 dollar premium over the Luvias...at the Presso regular price......it better be off the charts good. I am still of the opinion the Luvias is the best "Made in Japan" reel there is for the money spent. We will see.

Regards
    yes I looked three times finally gave up trying to find the 1003!lol

Post Thanks / Like

I use the hi speed reels for line recovery for when "you have to pump and grind" to get a fish to turn fast and for when you have quickly clear trolling lines. When working a jig - I wind slower..
    Likes Cropduster1968, John Scott LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redfin00 View Post
    yes I looked three times finally gave up trying to find the 1003!lol
    If you still want a 1003 Luvias, I have one in stock.
    www.finesse-fishing.com
    Ultralight JDM Fishing Gear

Post Thanks / Like

My Presso Limited 1025 shipped on 21 May and arrived yesterday on 25 May. To say this a very fine piece of craftsmanship is an understatement. I have been handling it for the past 24 hours but have not fished with it. It is 1 ounce lighter than a 1003 Luvias. It has a single piece bail arm. With a total of 13 bearings this reel is insanely smooth. Two of those bearings are in the line roller. The handle is 5mm shorter than other reels of same size. My aim was to one day acquire an Exist. I am not sure that will ever happen but I will not rule it out. This is Daiwa’s flagship model for area trout fishing. I immensely enjoy JDM gear but I always ask myself when purchasing something what will it do for me. When I used to fish four to sometimes 7 days a week I was looking for a reel that could take that kind of usage. I found it when I stepped up to a Shimano Stradic....it could take that kind of usage....but I was sending it in to Shimano of California 3 times a year for servicing....they said I should be sending it in 4 times a year. When the reel was 3 years old I sent it in and Shimano sent me a brand new one back at no charge to me. At that time I bought my first Luvias in 2012. I still have that reel and it has never had any servicing done on it. That is intentional as I wanted to see how it held up. It is as smooth as the day I got it.....it has what I call “rock rash” from all those years of bank fishing with it though. I can see where the Presso might be somewhat better when twitching a 1/2 gram jig head. The question is would I buy another one? At the price I paid for this one I would in a heartbeat. Of course I need to fish with it to see how it performs. I can see that it will pair much better than the Luvias 1003 when using my area trout rods. I have been eyeing the Presso Limited since it came out. At the sale price I decided it was time to hit the buy button. I still think the Luvias is hard to beat for cost to performance.....but I have to admit when turning the handle on the Presso it feels like I am turning air....and if the sale was still on I would get the 2025C.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes redfin00, John Scott LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but just entering the jdm market,finally pulled the trigger on the major craft triple cross last week,only been looking for a couple months!!I just watch Alphahawks posts to be informed,don’t have time to fish yet but getting close!,,

Post Thanks / Like

Alpha hawk
    Over the years that you have owned the Luvias` have you seen any improvements or modifications within the model line?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks Cropduster1968 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slowhand View Post
    Alpha hawk
    Over the years that you have owned the Luvias` have you seen any improvements or modifications within the model line?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-T580 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Yes...of course there have only been one remake since I bought my first in 2012 and then 2015. Many seem to think a refresh is due maybe next year. The 2015 added one more bearing and it was a total remake of the reel from 2012....also changing the drag...the spool...the bail, and the rotor. I have the 2013 Certate and the 2015 Luvias beats it. The Luvias is just a fantastic reel.

Regards
    Thanks Cropduster1968 thanked you for this post

Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast