HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Deep-hooking issues

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    I'm kinda perplexed , everybody says the 1/64 oz jig head is best, because of the slow fall rate. But the one you use is 1.5 grams which close to 1/16 oz. yet you are doing very well.

Ok....I'll give you my take. For years I used 1/64 ounce shad dart jig heads.....the majority being from Trout Magnet. Over the years I kept looking for a better jig head.....better to me means much sharper. I have lost count of the number of 1/64 ounce shad dart jig heads I have tried from a lot of sources. If I needed more weight I would many times attach a single size B split shot about 18 inches above the jig head. I also was fishing 1/32 and some larger jig heads going as high as 3/32 with the Trout Magnet. When I started buying 1/2 gram JDM jig heads I took a long look at all my 1/64 ounce jig heads. I found out that all of them weighed closer to the 1/40 mark than 1/64. That is the number I remember anyway when I did it but the point is a 1/64 ounce jig head weighs quite a bit more than stated weight. Doing research found out this is common in the industry for micro jig heads. But meanwhile I had ordered 100 1/2 gram JDM jig heads and I noticed how small they were compared to the 1/64 heads I had been using. Plus casting distance with a 1/2 gram jig head ain't much. So now my preferred weight jig head....with no wind...is 1 gram...which translates to 1/30 ounce....which is not that far from what I had been fishing with for years. Yesterday I started out with a 1 gram jig head....but the wind was a bit stiff and I went up to 1.5 gram. There is no doubt in my mind that fish love that slow fall rate a tiny jig gives. But you have to be able to get some casting distance. It has just been an education for me and jig head weights. Now my sweet spot jig for lake fishing is the 1 gram.....if the water is deep.....meaning over 10 feet...I'll move up to the 1.5 gram and to the 2 gram to get it down to say 20 feet. Of course one can do that with US market jig heads also. Tomorrow is supposed to be calm and flat conditions....if so my son and I will start out with a 1 gram jig head in 6 feet of water. Of course if the wind gets up I will move up in weight.

Regards
    Likes Just_Bass LIKED above post
    Thanks Cropduster1968 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me a slow fall rate would come into play more with hopping a jig on the bottom than with a straight cast and retrieve method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    It seems to me a slow fall rate would come into play more with hopping a jig on the bottom than with a straight cast and retrieve method.
    I need to get the video done of how I fish....nothing special....but not many twitch. My rod tip is constantly quivering. My jig rarely touches the bottom. But I think your assumption is correct about fall rate. But all of these shellcracker are hitting my jig on a reaction strike. The way I fish...and the amount of fishing I do has ruined my hands. Had both carpal tunnel surgeries years back.....and about 5 years back developed De Quervain's tendonitis in both thumbs. Had all the steroid injections that they will give me...and now they want to do surgery on both thumbs. So I guess too much fishing can be bad for you....LOL.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    So I guess too much fishing can be bad for you....LOL.

Regards
    Right, lol,well I order the 1.5g 8# just hope can get them in business days like you.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post !
    I don't pay much for my ballhead jigs from ebay and rarely gut hook fish for the same reasons you posted as well as making sure the hook size matches the quality of fish biting my lures. Bigger crappie need a bigger hook/lure than smaller, fish otherwise gut hooking becomes more prevalent. But your retrieve like mine prevents the hook from getting stuck too deep and I believe that as the lure slides towards the lips after being sucked deep, the fish's mouth clamps down allowing strike detection followed by a slow rod sweep hook set in the lip. JMO

Again - nice insights.

Post Thanks / Like

This Plat order has taken 4 business days just to get to NY, where it has sat since Thursday. Previous order took 2 weeks, so I think 4 days is optimistic. Still worth the wait, but IMO a week and a half is more realistic shipping estimate.

Edit: this order was shipped Japan Post (JP). My last order from Digitaka (another Daiwa Luvias reel, wonderful reels - they blow Shimano out of the water in every way) was shipped EMS and took 5 business days.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Update: jigs are in Atl, so I should get delivery Monday: So that's exactly a week - not too bad at all!
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456