Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Noise Filter Helix

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noise Filter Helix

I did not know the Helix had a noise filter built into the unit, I am having an issue with multiple vertical lines only when the TM is on. I am thinking that it is from prop wash since my 'ducer is located 30" to the side of my TM and they are on totally separate batteries.

I have not tried this yet plan on seeing if it makes any difference next week but below is a link from you tube explaining how it works.

YouTube
    Likes Roy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know this till last week as well. I was having some crosstalk interference from my 2 Birds mounted on the console, both transducers are mounted on the transom. I set the filter up on medium on both units and all the interference I was having was gone! I think I'll try the low setting next time out and see what happens. I had tried adjusting the frequencies on both units with very limited results for the last couple of months, this really solved my issue.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We should note that Noise Filter is an indiscriminate "filter" - meaning it will cause less interference to show on the display - but it will also show less of everything else (that you may want to see) as Jason mentions toward the end of that video ...

This is easily seen by watching the fish and structure returns get weaker in the 2d image as the "Noise Filter" is raised thru Low / Med / High / etc ...

While the "Noise Filter" setting sounds like an easy fix for interference - it doesn't actually fix the problem = there is interference being generated somewhere in the boat that is encroaching into the sonar system, either thru the xducer/xducer cable circuit or thru the Sonar power circuit ...

The optimum procedure is to use the "Noise Filter" setting only temporarily (when interference is present) - but still plan to fix the problem = find the interference encroachment point and fix it ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Central Minn, J.M. LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    The optimum procedure is to use the "Noise Filter" setting only temporarily (when interference is present) - but still plan to fix the problem = find the interference encroachment point and fix it ...

Rickie

Thanks Rickie, I was hoping for an easy out but now it looks like I will have some work to do

Post Thanks / Like

Well the noise filter really seemed to clear up my interference. My 2 transducers are too close to each other on my transom but I really can't move them. Using the lowQ and Mega di images from my Helix 12 and just the SI from my Helix 10 that are linked together. The images from the lowQ 2d and the Mega di transducer is ALLOT better than the images from the Mega SI/DI transducer. I reduced my noise filter to low to see what effect it has on my images. Hope to test it in the next couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, went back out today and my crosstalk interference was back no matter which level of filter I used, lol. Back to square one.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Oh well, went back out today and my crosstalk interference was back no matter which level of filter I used, lol. Back to square one.
    Verify if it's actually crosstalk interference (or rf interference) by shutting off all other electronics and test ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've turned the other unit off and the interference goes away. I'll still have to play with it some more. Really like the lowQ images and DI images otherwise I'd just use the one transducer from my SI unit. Guess I'll have to sell my 2 units and just buy the new Mega+ unit that has the lowQ, lol!