HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deep-hooking issues

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    Yes...one thing I found out when I started buying JDM jig heads is US market micro jig heads are not the weight they say they are.....nearly all of them are heavier....many times a lot heavier. One thing about buying JDM jig heads....once you get used to the gram standard.......if it says .5 grams...that is what it weighs.

Regards
    One thing I notices about these jigs is there's a big gap between the hook eye and the hook point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Techno2000 View Post
    One thing I notices about these jigs is there's a big gap between the hook eye and the hook point.
    I'll have to look at that. One of the things that I really like about JDM light game jig heads is the eye. They are made larger due to the fact they are used a lot at night in Japan. While I don't fish at night anymore it sure makes it easy to thread the line through one...LOL.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I use a #6 hook on my 1/32oz jigs, they work great, I also set the hook as soon as I can, this helps, but sometimes - deep hooking is going to happen. I also use crappie nibbles or Gulp maggots, this causes a deep hooking problem. Worms or other live baits is the worst way to start the deep hooking. Go figure. Most folks thing you need to let a Panfish run a little with the bite, wrong- set the hook quick. My 2 cts.
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to look at that. One of the things that I really like about JDM light game jig heads is the eye. They are made larger due to the fact they are used a lot at night in Japan. While I don't fish at night anymore it sure makes it easy to thread the line through one...LOL.

Regards
    Some jigs the hook point is almost inline with the eye, Richard Gene talks about bending the hook point up to catch the skin better, I have been trying this,and I can see an improvement in my hook ups.

Post Thanks / Like

Some jigs the hook point is almost inline with the eye, Richard Gene talks about bending the hook point up to catch the skin better, I have been trying this,and I can see an improvement in my hook ups.
    Yeah that's what I was talking about with the Tict AZISTA jig heads with the size S and size M hook.....it is manufactured like that. I used those 13 Fishing Upper Cut jig head with the hook like that and it did not perform well at all. Most micro jig hooks sold in the USA are way too big in diameter to get that needle sharpness. Daiwa makes the Gekkabijin jig head with the hook bent upwards but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Check them out.

DAIWA : 月下美人 SWライトジグヘッドSS OG - Web site
    Regards

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the problem with gut hooks stems from using too small of a jig hook. ~98% of my fish are hooked in the mouth - only gut hooked 2 fish (this season). Majority of the jigs are 1/48th. 1/32nd , and 1/24th chubhead poured with a #6 Eagle Claw Lil' Nasty BLN sickle hook. Also used is a 1/32nd roundhead with the same hook. The sickle hook is a modified circle hook. All my trolled fish set the hook on themselves and when I'm casting it's pretty much the same. I'll set the hook when the line moves - but most of the time it only takes the fish to go in the opposite direction.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks jawjatek thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There is a method called "kirbing" the hook, which is bending the hook slightly to the side. (It doesn't matter which side.) In John Goddard's Trout-Fishing Techniques, Goddard talks about how kirbing works incredibly well for small hooks. He was using very small hooks (#24, #26, #28) and was frustrated at missing many bites. He found that kirbing the hook drastically increased his hook up ratio.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa makes the Gekkabijin jig head with the hook bent upwards but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Check them out.

DAIWA : 月下美人 SWライトジグヘッドSS OG - Web site
    Regards
    If that's the case, you always take matters into your own hands and put a bend in your jigs yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

How does canting the hook stop gut hooks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LedHed View Post
    How does canting the hook stop gut hooks?
    Yeah... that's the subject of this thread, maybe bending the hook up would make it harder to swallow.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast