HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherokee Change Up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cherokee Change Up

I am a cast and retrieve kind of guy, 95% of the time I have a Single Pole (UL) in my hand when pursuing our finned friends but today I decided to change it up a little bit and do a Spider Rig trip to Cherokee.
    Name:  IMG_3579.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  211.9 KB
    So I dusted off the long poles and hit the local bait store for some Minnows. I ran into a member here Elyj who was also getting bait. He hasn’t posted here in several years but maybe he will chime in as to his trip/success today also. I congratulated him on his new job as the local High School Principal. With a Crappie Fisherman at the helm, I think our Youth will have great leadership. Anyway, my first couple stops were at some shallow brushpiles to check on the status of the spawn. The little males were home, but no big girls to be found.
    Name:  IMG_3573.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  58.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3574.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  109.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_3576.JPG
Views: 534
Size:  665.5 KB
    At least I got to throw my UL for a bit and actually feel the thump. About 9am I set up the long poles and settled in to my comfy seat and watched the rod tips like a hawk.
    Name:  IMG_3577.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  87.7 KB
    A catfish, a couple Spotted Bass, then finally a rod tip dipped to the waters surface and it was on! Crappie, and a nice one. It got plum crazy for a few minutes as the boat hovered over a nice school of Specks and I was pulling rods up like hot potatoes. A flurry of 3, followed by a a quick turn around and another round of catching. I had 9 in the boat real quick, never reeled once as the fish were caught exactly 12ft (over 20FOW) deep, so I just set the hook and boat lifted them straight up over the side. I stayed with this school and in no time had a limit, and they were nice ones.
    Name:  IMG_3583.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  130.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3586.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  161.7 KB
    They filled a bucket full for sure
    Name:  IMG_3588.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  149.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3593.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  168.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3619.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  145.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3662.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  113.8 KB
    The big girl had a small cut on her, and I did see a Water Turkey in the creek channel, probably just escaped him. She was a TARP, and I stuck a nice male about the same size. A good day, not my usual modus operandi, but a fun day. Get out there, they are biting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks redfin00, ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Man thats a great trip, thats my favorite way to fish is spider rigging, a lot of folks say it's the lazy man's way but they ain't been with me when i get on the fish, I can tell you it can be like a job at times lol. God Bless

Sent from my VS988 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks StantheMan2567 thanked you for this post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, nice trip! Thanks for posting it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yo bucket is fuller than me bucket.....
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great day on the water. Enjoyed the report and pics.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a load of fun for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch !! I also rather single pole fish and feel that thump, but spider rigging can be fun too. It can also be a lot of work when you get all of em hung up on a snag at the same time !!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent report and a nice haul! Have you noticed any signs of them spawning? By my calculations, it should be on....however, I haven’t had time to find out!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    Excellent report and a nice haul! Have you noticed any signs of them spawning? By my calculations, it should be on....however, I haven’t had time to find out!
    The eggs in the females looked ready, dark red vessels in the egg sacs, and the sacs were soft and easy to burst with the knife. I caught 5 non keeper males on some tree tops in 5-8ft water right after daylight so that tells me they will begin the spawn any time, water temperatures were 66, right on cue with the blooming Dogwoods. Nature knows, I find it fun figuring it out. Get out there soon, we miss your reports!!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    The eggs in the females looked ready, dark red vessels in the egg sacs, and the sacs were soft and easy to burst with the knife. I caught 5 non keeper males on some tree tops in 5-8ft water right after daylight so that tells me they will begin the spawn any time, water temperatures were 66, right on cue with the blooming Dogwoods. Nature knows, I find it fun figuring it out. Get out there soon, we miss your reports!!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks for the info! I have 8-10 12’ rods, rod holders and bases, planer boards, a few boxes of crankbaits, and all I want to do is single pole fish! When I’m feeling extra froggy, I shoot docks! I need to get spider rigging and long line trolling in my arsenal, but I always end up with a mess, which is a hassle, which makes me anxious, and is not enjoyable! In other words, I suck at it!!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes StantheMan2567 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast