Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck river again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Duck river again

We were gonna take the boat today but my nephew wanted to go so we fished the bank again. Got there at 5:30 and had 25 a little after 7. Really liking this place. Can’t wait to get the kayak down there if I can find time.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Spaceman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_20190413_192657.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t figure how to post a pic.

Post Thanks / Like

I went this afternoon with a friend. We had a good time. I don't know why in the world they built a lake with such crappy boat ramps and no piers by them. I'm pretty sure they did it to deter many boats being on the water. The 25 HP restriction is crazy too but it's their lake they can do what they want. Best I can tell the lake is grossly over populated with fish of all species. We caught quite a few fish and caught everything except catfish. There is no way there is enough bait fish in that place to go around. None of the fish we caught had big bellies. We caught lots of small skinny bass and small skinny crappie. My buddy said he and his brother went yesterday and crappie fished for about 2 1/2 hours and caught well over 100 bass. He said he didn't remember making a cast and not catching a fish of some kind. You can't have game fish numbers like that and have enough food for them. Just no way. I expect the fish and fishing to fall off hard in a couple more years. My prediction is that it will end up like Inland lake, except it will end up that way a whole lot quicker than Inland did. I'm no biologist but I know cows won't grow if they don't have something to eat and fish won't either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    I went this afternoon with a friend. We had a good time. I don't know why in the world they built a lake with such crappy boat ramps and no piers by them. I'm pretty sure they did it to deter many boats being on the water. The 25 HP restriction is crazy too but it's their lake they can do what they want. Best I can tell the lake is grossly over populated with fish of all species. We caught quite a few fish and caught everything except catfish. There is no way there is enough bait fish in that place to go around. None of the fish we caught had big bellies. We caught lots of small skinny bass and small skinny crappie. My buddy said he and his brother went yesterday and crappie fished for about 2 1/2 hours and caught well over 100 bass. He said he didn't remember making a cast and not catching a fish of some kind. You can't have game fish numbers like that and have enough food for them. Just no way. I expect the fish and fishing to fall off hard in a couple more years. My prediction is that it will end up like Inland lake, except it will end up that way a whole lot quicker than Inland did. I'm no biologist but I know cows won't grow if they don't have something to eat and fish won't either.
    Now that you mention it, I have not noticed much bait activity in there aside from up the mouth of the creek. I cant remember when it was that they originally stocked it. If you have a Facebook account, you can look at their page in the link below. May give some idea of how they are managing it (or lack thereof).

Duck River Reservoir - Home | Facebook
    Likes Damion Kidd LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Most smaller lakes need to had fish taken out. The 9in limit does not apply to lakes less that 500a

Sent from my SM-G965U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Well I hope it thrives. I’ve been tickled to find somewhere without driving almost 2 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowe175 View Post
    Most smaller lakes need to had fish taken out. The 9in limit does not apply to lakes less that 500a

I think this lake is a little over 600 acres. It also has it's own regulations which are listed on the permit which includes a 9" limit for crappie and doesn't allow any harvesting of bass yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I got you. If it's that over populat it want be long and they will all be under 9in, I've seen it happen

Post Thanks / Like

I read last night where they stocked it with threadfin shad and were hoping they would reproduce and become a healthy food source. I know nothing about that kind of stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast