HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive guide on raising 4 different kinds of bait worms

Post Thanks / Like

Dolomite lime is also known agricultural lime or ag lime.
    Thanks ThePerchKiller thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cricket george View Post
    Dolomite lime is also known agricultural lime or ag lime.
    Yeah it sure is, probably be lots cheaper than the kind i buy at lowes.

Just to be clear if anyone is confused, avoid any kind of slaked or hydrated lime. That kind of lime can kill worms.
    Commercial worm farmer, but presently sold out until further notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThePerchKiller View Post
    Yeah it sure is, probably be lots cheaper than the kind i buy at lowes.

Just to be clear if anyone is confused, avoid any kind of slaked or hydrated lime. That kind of lime can kill worms.
    How much lime for a half filled 30 gallon container with half peat moss to a 50 lb bag of black kow manure?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

8oz should be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
    How much lime for a half filled 30 gallon container with half peat moss to a 50 lb bag of black kow manure?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Herewego LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Perchkiller man what a write up...thx so much

Post Thanks / Like

What if your worms stay small? Feed chicken laying food

Post Thanks / Like

If your worms stay small, you've got too many in the bin and they are probably in need of fresh peat moss/manure being added to the bin. Take half of the worms and material and start a new bin, and them add some fresh peat moss and manure. They will get big again in no time.
    Likes Herewego LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holes

You mention Holes in lid ...You never mention air holes /drain holes in sides .Are they not needed... My guess not needed as long as you don't over water and turn over regular...

Next I live on tx coast lots of high 90s... and tried to raise in out build but always lost in summer heat.....AC is answer but It will probably cost more than I gain...Have spare room in AC home that would work BUT if it smelled or a worm got loose ...My WIFE would KILL ME...

What about a example ; 4f x 4f x 2f deep and box in sides 3f up from ground level.fill with Peat and KOW put led and lid.....Think they could find a cool enough spot in that mass to make it through summer and produce when I need bait most...Got a corner in garden that it could go! ( we do get about 45" rain a year but that spot no water stands)

Thx again for all answers and great info you provide us ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holes

You mention Holes in lid ...You never mention air holes /drain holes in sides .Are they not needed... My guess not needed as long as you don't over water and turn over regular...

Next I live on tx coast lots of high 90s... and tried to raise in out build but always lost in summer heat.....AC is answer but It will probably cost more than I gain...Have spare room in AC home that would work BUT if it smelled or a worm got loose ...My WIFE would KILL ME...

What about a example ; 4f x 4f x 2f deep and box in sides 3f up from ground level.fill with Peat and KOW put led and lid.....Think they could find a cool enough spot in that mass to make it through summer and produce when I need bait most...Got a corner in garden that it could go! ( we do get about 45" rain a year but that spot no water stands)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cva34 View Post

Hey, yes I meant hole in the lids if you can keep a bin in a climate controlled environment. I know that worms can cause friction with a spouse or girlfriend, so its best to keep them in an outbuilding.

I know that AC would cost you too much to keep them alive down there.

I would recommend putting up some shade cloth over the worms if you keep them outside, they are tough if you keep them from direct sun exposure. I would build a bin out of plywood in the dimensions you specified, and elevate it on cinder blocks. Fill the bottom with a layer of sand, and put horticulture groundcloth over sand layer. Then fill with peat and black kow. The sand will keep worms from slipping out of the drainage holes that you should drill in the bottom of a box that large. I'd put a brick in each corner of groundcloth, and in the middle as well. This will keep it from getting displaced when you stir the compost.

Alternatively, you could go to a junkyard and pick up a chest freezer/fridge that someone threw out, and use that instead. Still use above method with sand and groundcloth. Fridge or freezer would be better as it has thermal insulation built in.

Yes, large bin that is not made of plastic, and is kept in a shaded area, will do well even in a hot climate, if you drill holes in the bottom.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast