HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tying vise

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a fly shop and test out some of the ones they have there. Nothing beats the hands-on experience because what's right for everyone else may not be right for you.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post
    Thanks LedHed thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

After many vises I broke down and bought a peak. If it ever goes to ____, I will buy another!!

Post Thanks / Like

When I was going to buy a new vise I did a search here on CDC. Found a very good price/user comparison. It rated visas buy dollar amounts and such. Might want to find that post it helped me with my purchase. Don't get me wrong I really do like my vise. But I got to use a peak not long ago and I liked it a lot also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    dave
    in currituck

Post Thanks / Like

Not saying it is the best but I sure like my Peak. Started out with the non rotary model and tied with it for about 5 years. Then bought their rotary version this year. Like them both, they seem to be very durable and bullet proof and at an intermediate price point. I tie mostly bluegill stuff in the hook size range of 8-12. Bully bluegill spiders, cap spiders, foam spider/beetles, and bead head nymph style flies. Would love to have a Regal but can't justify the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midnight508 View Post
    After many vises I broke down and bought a peak. If it ever goes to ____, I will buy another!!
    Why buy another when they guarantee it for life?

not saying this is my favorite vise as I tie on. Nor-Vise and have a Renzetti SW Traveler as a back up!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been tying on a peak going on 5 or 6 years now and have not had a problem .. Knock on wood !!
    Steve-stabgnid

Post Thanks / Like

Skip fixed me up with a Peak, no issues with it at all and will use it for a long time but I have kinda big paws and I wish it wouldn’t have such a low drop in the vise part. Wish it was more straight out but again would buy another one if I needed one.
    Likes Micropterus salmoides LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When the discussion of "looking for a vise" comes up, tyers don't talk about - your style of tying (what you are tying) and hand placement.
    I tye heavy handed (thread body jigs) - rotary won't work for me because I put a lot of pressure on the hook with thread. For me it's easier to tye in tailing using the head of the vise as a rest & guide. I use reference points on the head for tail lengths, crystal flash & bloodline lengths so my jigs are consistent.

Best advice (for a vise) ever - "Go to a fly shop and test out some of the ones they have there. Nothing beats the hands-on experience because what's right for everyone else may not be right for you."
    Likes SpeckledSlab, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I started back in the 70's tying trout flies & streamers. I had a few vises, mostly cheap ones. One Christmas in the early 80's my bride bought me a Regal. Well I put a large streamer hook in the jaws, grabbed the eye of the hook with pliers and bent it into a nice circle. The jaws never slipped! I never looked back and tie everything from small flies to musky bucktails. Strange thing happened, fly fishing for trout especially, became a popular thing. Now there are a wealth of great tying vises available. I did buy a second Regal with the Big Game jaws for 5/0 trebles but my original is still in use and as good as the day I got it. One good vise is worth a bucket of cheap ones.
    Likes Redge, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a come back member....Looks like the last time I was on here was in 2016... Since then I have retired....now trying out getting into some tying. Crappie jigs or Bream, mostly. Not very good at fishing for them, yet, so the idea of tying my own jigs came to mind to have something different the Crappie might hit.
    I bought a Super II vice....it'll work for a while.
    Ive got in mind to get or make a true rotary one. My past experience isn't in using fancy lathes and such tools... I'm more a lawnmower mechanic.... so I've been looking over the production rotary vices. Some are real eye candy and expensive. Some are under a $100, and some around $50.... I could do them as far as cost.
    I'm a beginner....at tying. That's not necessarily at building something like a rotary from scratch. Just for grins and giggles, and after researching what production rotaries look like, and their features, I've concluded what I like or dislike about them. That's from watching videos demonstrating the features. I'm not trying to be better than them. I just want to see if I could put one together using basic parts from my background of being a lawnmower mechanic. You'd be surprised what can be found in a hardware store. I've started on my drawn plan. I have the rotary part about half finished. The angle of the main rotary shaft on the bearings mounted in the head. The vice part, is bigger than most I've observed. That's because the one thing about the cheap Super II that I bought is its length of the vice. I have pretty good size hands. I'm building this one so I have room to have my hands doing the tiny work, with the vice and head to rest my wrist on. Maybe it won't be a total waste of time and money. I'm not trying to re-invent the rotary vice. This is more an effort to see whether I can make a useful vice for my pleasure of saying I built it myself.
    Likes SuperDave336, skeetbum LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast