Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Keel repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keel repair

I have a Sylvan Explorer 1600 deep V. It has a one piece hull with a riveted on keel. Where the keel sets on the skid on the trailer, the heel has worn down allowing the keel to twist and pull a rivet. This causes quite a leak. Fixing the rivet is no problem, I have a guy that works on choppers and amphibious vehicles that will help with that. I would like to get the keel repaired but am having trouble finding someone to weld it. My question is- how good is JB weld and would it be strong enough and stick well enough to do the repairs. I'm thinking of adding a rubber keel guard after the repairs are made. Here's a few pictures. From the sideName:  IMG_20190309_114534309.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  127.2 KB and from the bottom looking up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The older I get the more I realize the therapeutic benefits of fishing
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Worlds proudest grandpa x6

Post Thanks / Like

I would not trust JB.

Get together with a welder, and bring it in when he's already set up for aluminum.

If you absolutely cannot find a welder, bend up some 1/8" aluminum plate to match the keel, fasten it with 5200 and rivets. You should also adjust the other skids or add more bunks, as it appears that there is way too much load on that part of the keel.

Post Thanks / Like

Planning on replacing the skid with a v roller and possibly adding two more rollers on the same cross member to spread out the load.

Thanks for the input on the JB
    The older I get the more I realize the therapeutic benefits of fishing
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Worlds proudest grandpa x6

Post Thanks / Like

This place is in Freemont Indiana ,they have fixed my boat and really reasonable. HIGBEE wielding 260 495 2725.

Post Thanks / Like

The older Tracker boats are plagued with this same issue. You will find that doing a surface repair of the rivet will not stop the leak due to water entering the keel and entering from between the keel and hull where it's inaccessible. The only way I've been able to correct the issue and prevent future problems is to remove the keel, weld up the rivet holes and spot weld the keel back in place. If there's a good side to this, it is that most insurance companies have covered the cost of the repair based on 'impact' damage to the hull.
    Likes crappiemax LIKED above post