HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oconee/Sugar Creek

Post Thanks / Like

Gents please, you sound like Oconee is a secret. I hope everyone can go fishing and catch fish. Me and grandson going Thurs, friday, Saturday and we gone be somewhere fishing come on and fish before we are in cemetery.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to apologize you didn't let the cat out of the bag. Sugar and Lick Creeks are always full of crappie fishermen when the bite is good. I don't get upset if there are a lot of people trying to do the same thing I'm trying to do. Like gman said there are fish all over Lake Oconee. On the other hand if you post the location of your secret spot don't be surprised if you find someone else fishing there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    I'll start using the moderated one. Didn't realize my mistake. I'll do better

Jeff
    Likes 2@low8, Deuces Wild, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That is why I go past Sugar and put in at Swords. Only 7 boats when I left. Water was 59.5 degrees at 2:30 when I left. Strange day. I caught large fish and butter beans. Not many mid size fish. Fish were scattered. I caught fish in 25 ft water, 12-15 ft water, and 6-8 ft water. No pattern was consistent or lasted long. Did not limit out but I am not going to starve either. Color did not matter.
    Likes Slabprowler, Deuces Wild, badbull LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just learning Oconee, and my first 2 trips ever to were to Sugar Creek ramp. I did pretty well the second time. I want to try fishing somewhere else on a different ramp, either Swords or Long Shoals. Swords is closer to me, so I'll probably go there next couple trips. Are there any particular hazards there I should watch for? I have Navionics+ mapping at the console, and it shows most flooded timber and hazards. I'll mostly be using the trolling motor, easing around and looking for crappie on the sonar.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Tradbow is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Swords is at upper end of lake off the Apalachee.. Lots of timber and underwater hazards if you venture out of the channel. Real good place to launch when the whites and hybrids go upriver to spawn in the next few weeks. Excellent place to put in to target catfish during the May spawn. Blue Springs is another place to put in on that end of lake and your vehicle will be more secure. Several ramps closer than Long shoals to you as in Lick Creek and on the Richland creek side Armor Bridge is convenient.
    Thanks jawjatek thanked you for this post

Ttexastom is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

X2 on using swords, it it the closest ramp for me also.
    When russell and oconee were built it took a lot of pressure off the hill. What is going on oconee and russell right now was once that way on the hill.
    John 3:16

Post Thanks / Like

How much does Blue Springs charge for launch/park? Guess I can call them in AM. I am dying to get on water with pole in hand. Wasn't in the cards the last couple days, but as soon as this front goes by, I'm there.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

I was born and raised ten miles from the Oconee River and spent most of my formative years fishing it and Lake Sinclair. Even fished the new lake as it was filling. I still live right here where I was born. I have seen a tremendous amount of change here in my county as far as population and access goes. Everything is virial today and information is instantaneous and people can call their buddy's and tell them the bite is on right now and for their buddy's to head that way. Bottom line is we are reaching the capacity on our lakes that they can sustain naturally. The amount of people using Oconee is close to Lanier without all the acreage that Lanier has. I have no answer to the pressure all our lakes are experiencing other than to say the economy is going good for a lot of people.
    Likes Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    How much does Blue Springs charge for launch/park? Guess I can call them in AM. I am dying to get on water with pole in hand. Wasn't in the cards the last couple days, but as soon as this front goes by, I'm there.
    I believe it is five dollars. I have a GP daily pass for the year so other than going to a private launch site I'm good to go. If you get a chance to go during the week, you can go with me as I'm usually alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been fishing Oconee since 1985 and its no where the lake it use to be,and that's not just my opinion either. The sport of crappie fishing is growing tremendously. Every state from SC to Texas has decreased the creel and most have also put a size limit on crappie. When you see people putting fish in the live well that takes 3 of those fish to make a sandwich something is wrong. Oconee gets a tremendous amount of pressure year round.I don't see how it has a crappie left in it.
    Likes papasage, Tradbow LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast