HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cleaning catfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default cleaning catfish

i finally got me a good 5 pound flatty!! been setting poles out this time i used whole bluegill they were dead but still and put 1 bank poles out and got me a nice little flat to eat i had him sitting out for 45 mins he still wasnt dead and tbh i had to clean him fast because it was getting dark fast.. so i was told t hit him over the head which wills tun and kill them

well i didnt have anything blunt besides a long heavy machete so i took the blunt non sharp end and started hitting it over the head over and over and it didnt kill him... i started to feel really bad i got upset i was told fish dont feel pain like us but still i kept hitting it and its kills were still flapping and slight movements.

i started to skin him cause i didnt have time left after skinning and filleting him he was still moving his gills!! i feel horrible atm if fish do feel pain that was a horrible way to go next time im just gonna either have a big brick/rock ready or just let them die from no air

Post Thanks / Like

Bud that's part of it. Coming from someone who raises alot of their own food...dont look at it as taking a life, look at it in the sense that it gives you life. This is where balance and conservation come in...I dont think any of us enjoy killing or causing pain. But this is the natural cycle. In my humble and personal opinion, repeatedly bludgeoning an animal would prolly make most people upset..try not to do that next time. Instead thank the animal for the life its lived and will continue to provide.
    Likes Crappkid, "D", river scum, SpeckledSlab, shadow LIKED above post
    Thanks BigDawgg thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

it isnt about taking a life its about the torture i mean a fishing being smashed in the head like that so violently then skinned alive and filleted while gills were moving i had no choice though or it would been to dark out to do it though i did it before to a channel and it died instaintly i guess the flatheads have much harder heads than blues channels i just really hope that the study is real about them not being able to experience pain
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Put the fish on ice, this also helps in the cleaning process.
    You know me, I'm always ready for a road trip. Chip Newest member of Traveling Team Overalls
    Likes INDyak, Erin Brewer, Fisher-o-Men, shadow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt1991 View Post
    it isnt about taking a life its about the torture i mean a fishing being smashed in the head like that so violently then skinned alive and filleted while gills were moving i had no choice though or it would been to dark out to do it though i did it before to a channel and it died instaintly i guess the flatheads have much harder heads than blues channels i just really hope that the study is real about them not being able to experience pain
    I understand bud..as I stated I believe that would upset most folks. Next time maybe try to sharp edge? A nice clean whack should take the whole head...that's more humane in my opinion. I second the ice...also makes it less bloody...keep your head up and go get ya another

Post Thanks / Like

If you will feel for a small indentation in the middle of catfish’s head there you will find the entrance to the brain. Take a sharp knife and put a tiny slit in the skin. Next take a broom straw and insert the straw in the channel and push it into the brain. Spin the straw in your fingers and the catfish will shudder and be dead humanely. You just scrambled it’s brain.
    Likes hdhntr, LouisianaFishNut LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i feel ya but knowing me id mess it up so i think from now on ill just let them die from lax of water but just sucks that flats can be out for hours the reason i didnt cut the head off was because to skin it i need t hold his head for grip t skin him then fillet but i probably could do it anyways

Post Thanks / Like

Could filet, then skin as well..that's how ive always done everything. Just like anything else in life, itll take time to find your own way. Dont beat yourself up man...again I dont think anyone hear wants to see something we care so much about suffer. You'll find what works for you

Post Thanks / Like

Try to have a old baseball bat handy. Couple swings with it will keep them from flopping or moving pretty quick
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i cant fillet them with skin on since my knife prob isnt good enough iv tried it and always butchered them thats why i skin them first then fillet

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast