HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: JDM lines relating to panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Choice of backing for ester lines? With 140m of line on the spool I’m sure that there needs to be some backing on a 1000 size reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Choice of backing for ester lines? With 140m of line on the spool I’m sure that there needs to be some backing on a 1000 size reel.
    Depends on the reel. JDM reels tend to feature shallow spools that don't hold much more than about 100 yards of line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    I can’t help you either. I use all JDM reels with shallow spools. I usually can get 2 filings off of one spool of ester as I don’t fill the spool with ester the way I do with mono. For me shallow spools are one huge benefit of JDM reels. I would just use some similar diameter mono as backing. A US domestic market reel in the size 1000 would probably hold 250m of that stuff as small as it is.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info I’m new to all th JDM products

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    A US domestic market reel in the size 1000 would probably hold 250m of that stuff as small as it is.
    The shallow spool reel is another rarity in the US. I don't get it. Unless you're fishing in the ocean, you really don't need 250 yards of line.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am still getting used to he shallow spool. As alpha said I would spool a small mono on so that line lay is nice and even... I have so much 2lb sos that it wouldn’t bother me to use it as backing...

Post Thanks / Like

I have had ester mono on a reel now for a year. It has served me well allowing me to fish deep using 1/32 ounce jigs...21 feet deep. I love the sensitivity and sinking aspect of the line. Last summer I absolutely killed the KY Spotted bass using this line. The line allowed me to keep a 1/32 ounce jig head down on the bottom in 21 feet of water. Most of those fish were caught using a Major Craft Fine Tail Banshee area trout rod 6’ 7” L action. Now the majority reading this will know that rod to be a very soft action and fishes like an off the shelf US UL rod as far as action goes. It really helps cushion the line. On the day I used an Yamaga Blanks Blue Current TZ ajing rod at the same spot I had trouble with some fish breaking off. I use an FC shock leader and this is where the problems come in. I can only tie a 5 turn surgeons knot with my fumbly fingers. Now for those who may suggest I use another knot that is just not going to happen. Years ago I could tie those knots but those days are over. The surgeons knot in my opinion is not the real issue. The ester line is so fine in diameter that in cinching down the knot if it is not 100 percent perfect you have a weak point there. Using my Bouz Drag Checker I find a lot of my knots will break at .85kg. When the knot is perfect I get 100 percent of line strength before breakage....line is rated 2.3# test. This past week I fished a flooded area that was full of big buffalo fish using the Finezza Prototype 6’ 10” UL rod. While it is a Meabaru rod it is very rigid. I keep a loose drag yet I was not able to land any of those big fish with that setup. I have landed 30 pound drum using a Tict Ice Cube Rockin’ Drift...a very soft action rod.....using 2# test nylon mono. Now I know the Japanese use Ajing rods with this line and FC leader all the time. My question for them would be if they hook into say a fish in the 4-5 pound range what is their success rate on landing those fish. Area trout rods...and the Tict Ice Cube line of rods...are really good at cushioning the line. I will continue to use ester when fishing for panfish. It gives me a big advantage. But I am not sure I will be using ester on my Ajing rods if I’m out targeting Smallmouth...big white bass. I fish a lot, and the reel I have had spooled up for a year with the ester has shown signs of deterioration. Doing numerous tests with the Bouz Drag Checker I am finding it can break from from .85kg up to 1kg. I don’t usually keep line on a reel for a year but this was just a test to see how it held up over time. I also have a reel spooled up with Varivas 2.3# test nylon that has been on for a year and it test every time at the rated strength. I would say from the year I had with the line my cost of 8 bucks was an absolute bargain. There is no doubt the ester line helps me catch more fish....especially crappie. Plus there is a big fun factor catching fish on ester. Chris, over at Finesse Fishing, is selling a 3# test ester which I am sure I will be trying. Ester will have a place on my list of lines to have for a long time to come.

Likes jawjatek LIKED above post
    Thanks Crappie Pro Wannabe thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, maybe I have missed it but what are your thoughts on the Varivas Nylon as compared to SOS, American Nylon if you will? I just got a new reel and with my recent issues with knots, super lines, and shock leaders I am not sure what I plan on spooling up for the coming Panfish season. Water clarity is usually not an issue in the Spring, and being 20in above normal rainfall already for the year I am not sure the water will clear up much until June.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StantheMan2567 View Post
    Ok, maybe I have missed it but what are your thoughts on the Varivas Nylon as compared to SOS, American Nylon if you will? I just got a new reel and with my recent issues with knots, super lines, and shock leaders I am not sure what I plan on spooling up for the coming Panfish season. Water clarity is usually not an issue in the Spring, and being 20in above normal rainfall already for the year I am not sure the water will clear up much until June.
    Well....let me just call it what it is. SOS 2# test line is a good line.....but it should be rated at 3.5# test....and it has a place on my setups when fishing for big white bass and big Smallies and casting fur big brown trout. The Varivas line is a true 2# test line. With that comes a much thinner diameter which gives you more casting distance.....and better sensitivity than the thicker SOS line. With the Varivas you get an IGFA rated line....if you ever think you may have a line class record....and you still get the stretch that comes with nylon mono. Varivas, in my opinion, is a world class line. It is soft....manages and casts great. Chris Stewart made a great point to me about the Japanese lines. He stated....and I’m paraphrasing here.....that I had spent a lot of money on some very high quality rods that maybe I was cheating myself out of their best performance because I didn’t want to spend a little more money on a spool of line.....I have to agree he was right.

Regards

Thanks StantheMan2567 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I have had ester mono on a reel now for a year. .....Now I know the Japanese use Ajing rods with this line and FC leader all the time. My question for them would be if they hook into say a fish in the 4-5 pound range what is their success rate on landing those fish.
    The average aji is about 8" long and maximum reported weight is only 1.5 lbs. When fishing for aji I suspect they rarely hook any species that weighs 4-5 pounds. I'm pretty sure if they did they wouldn't use 2.3 lb line. Mebaru are larger than aji but as near as I can tell, they do not use ester for mebaru. It seems ester line is used only for aji or for trout in "areas," where anglers use very soft rods to protect the light lines (which I know that you understand, but some other readers may not know about "areas."
    Last edited by Chris Stewart; 03-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    www.finesse-fishing.com
    Ultralight JDM Fishing Gear

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast