HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite bluegill rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite bluegill rod

Thinking of purchasing a G Loomis sjr700 and wondered if anyone has used this? I tried their U/L rods and thought they were too light.

What does everyone else use?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't spend that type of money on brim...but that's just me.
    I like to use a 4'6" rod, good ole ugly stick.
    Your not fishing, unless your crappie fishing!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5'6" st croix. My backup is a 5'6" b&m sharpshooter. A little stiffer than the other rod tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7ft

I really like the 7ft cabelas rod made by B&M. The extra length helps with longer casts. It is also nice when fishing a fixed float with handling the extra line. The cost is also very reasonable so it allows me to have several rigged and ready.

Good luck with your decision,

Chris

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking I don't "use" ..

Quote Originally Posted by thompmd
    Thinking of purchasing a G Loomis sjr700 and wondered if anyone has used this? I tried their U/L rods and thought they were too light.

What does everyone else use?
    any particular rod, specifically for Sunfish fishing. They bite on the baits I throw with my Crappie rods, often enough to not have to have a special rod for them :D

Were I to pick a specific rod for this purpose ... I doubt I'd spring for a Loomis, even if I could afford one. I'd probably buy a Berkley Cherrywood in a 6.5ft length/med action (around $20-25) and TREAT IT like it WAS a Loomis

.... cp
    Likes rapman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My overall favorite is the B.P.S. Micro-Lite 8 1/2' ultralite. I especially like the older burgandy color model that has been disconued. The present baby poo color rod in the same model is fine but I have to look at it. lol
    My second choice is a split decission of 2 makers. The Outlaw 2pc 7' 2" has more backbone and I always use it when I fish the tree tops in 20+ ft. of water. The Micro- Lite just doesn't have the backbone to start those 3/4 to 1 lb gills up in the right direction.
    The Wally Marshall Pro series 7' is equally good for this purpose but I can't find it in the BPS offering any more. As a side note- The Wally Marshall is the best looking rod I've had the pleasure of holding.
    For bank fishing I like the 12' B&M and the 16' Wally Marshall trolling rod. The 16' is an overkill for most bank fishing but I like it for a short stretch of brushpile fishing on a canal.
    I feel there are FAR too many reasonable priced rods out there to make a high dollar purchase for a panfish rod.
    Thanks to high compition, the rod industry has managed to get LOTS of reasonable rods on the market with high quality. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great response-

Crappiepappy- Your response really caught my eye. Not so much for your rod selection, that is entirely personal taste. What caught my attention is -TREAT IT like it WAS a Lomis.lol
    If we ALL took care of our equipment like it was a Loomis, they would last forever.
    With age I have come to be VERY protective of my rods and reels. Wish I could say that was always the case.lol I recall that boat rods make for poor footing and riding around in the bed of a pick up can be just a bit rough on them. lol
    Likes Chuckie, Ttexastom LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up 'Giller ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoisgiller
    Crappiepappy- Your response really caught my eye. Not so much for your rod selection, that is entirely personal taste. What caught my attention is -TREAT IT like it WAS a Lomis.lol
    If we ALL took care of our equipment like it was a Loomis, they would last forever.
    With age I have come to be VERY protective of my rods and reels. Wish I could say that was always the case.lol I recall that boat rods make for poor footing and riding around in the bed of a pick up can be just a bit rough on them. lol
    I primarily use/take about 4-5 rods with me, when I go Crappie fishing. I treat every one of them as if they were as expensive as a Loomis. Fact of the matter is ... 4 of the 5 didn't cost me a thing
    That's right ... they were "free" (as in I didn't buy them). I won one of them at a Crappie tourney (1st place prize) .... and the other 3 are prototypes, that I was sent to fieldtest.
    Doesn't matter to me, if they cost $20 or $200 ... I treat them all like they can't be replaced, at any price.

... cp
    Likes Chuckie, Dollfly, Triton9918 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompmd
    The SJR700 is a sweet rod. I bought mine for stream trout -- works great. Excellent backbone but has a soft tip.

I usually float fish for gills, though, and use 12-14' float rods. If I'm not float fishing, I'll use a fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite gill (and crappie / trout) rods are my 5'6'' Mitchell Zero Gravity rods. They are the most sensitive rods I have ever used but they break real easy. It can be scary if you hook a big bass or catfish on these rods though. I just keep my drag fairly loose.
    Likes flyfisherman_53 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast