Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad timing...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad timing...

Well, what looked like a simple wheel bearing change out has turned into a new axle, and springs, under the Carolina Skiff... All of the years and miles have taken a toll... Had to order parts, which should be here by Thursday, so the shut down is not going to last that long, although it sure feels like it!
    Mixed reports on the situation at the Rex, but just knowing that I can't get out there is making me crazy!
    Owning a boat means maintenance, but I needed to have all of this done back in December! ARRRRRG!
    Guess the good news is that when this is finished, I should be able to roll to all of those places I keep talking about without worry!

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess you’re not taking me fishing Wednesday. So sad.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes 4THETHUMP LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'M WORKING ON MY TRUCK . GOT IT TORE DOWN AND THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG PART SO HOPE TO GET THAT RESOLVED HERE IN A SHORT TIME .
    CATCH THEM ALL.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a Horizon 1860 boat I ran for 19 years. It had a Bear trailer under it. Since I live 10 miles from KY Lake, all I ever did was pop my Bearing Buddy caps off every couple of years, wipe all the grease away I could, then add new grease. Good to go! Once I got to thinking about selling that boat, I took on the job of taking both ends of the axle apart, check for wear, change out bad parts, then new grease.

This all happened on a Sunday afternoon with a fishing trip planned the next day. The first side went smooth, no wear issues so I repacked the bearings and put it back together. When I tried to take the second side apart I hit a solid wall!! The axle nut had been put on cross-threaded 19 years earlier at the factory!!! I thought no big deal, I'll just go to Auto Zone and borrow a thread die for the 1" ( I think, it could have been slightly larger) axle threads. Not a chance. Every auto parts store for miles had the same story, no die that size. I got into a panic then thought of my Dad's neighbor who is a contractor. I called him and he said as soon as his service truck got back to the yard he would pull his die set off and let me borrow it. At almost 10 pm I got the job finished with cleaned threads and a new axle nut from Auto Zone.

I learned that Sunday afternoons aren't the best time to be taking on such a simple 1 hour job.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes "G", Speck, 4THETHUMP, Redge, fishervet, BarryG LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliffordN View Post
    Well, what looked like a simple wheel bearing change out has turned into a new axle, and springs, under the Carolina Skiff... All of the years and miles have taken a toll... Had to order parts, which should be here by Thursday, so the shut down is not going to last that long, although it sure feels like it!
    Mixed reports on the situation at the Rex, but just knowing that I can't get out there is making me crazy!
    Owning a boat means maintenance, but I needed to have all of this done back in December! ARRRRRG!
    Guess the good news is that when this is finished, I should be able to roll to all of those places I keep talking about without worry!
    I have 238 dlv that I use on Grenada lake. You don't see many Carolina skiffs this far inland.Name:  IMG_20190207_153703.jpeg
Views: 1009
Size:  116.5 KB

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes smann, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mama always said BOAT stands for break out another thousand. Guess trailers included. Sorry for your luck but at least you weren’t on the side of the interstate Had same thing happen on a horse trailer. It’s never fun but there’s definitely a comfort level traveling new road gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have it mostly ready to go back together as soon as the new parts arrive... Won't be down that much longer...

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure Gene in available when they come in lol
    proud member of "Team Cup"
    Likes 4THETHUMP LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Parts arrived this afternoon, and the rebuild starts early tomorrow! Barring unseen issues, we will be ready to go again very shortly! One more bad timing issue is the arrival of a new trolling motor showing up Saturday. It was supposed to be here no sooner than Tuesday, but I still have two days to figure how I'm gonna explain that. Have to go buy another battery, and some odds and ends... There is a light at the end of the tunnel, just hoping it is not the train!
    Last edited by CliffordN; 02-14-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck buddie. HOPE it all goes good for you
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast